Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training To Teach Standards

Hi there.

As GTP and NQT mentor as well as school based tutor for local teacher training providers, I have been asked to put together some guidance for meeting the ITT standards, specifically relevant for those training for early years. I find over and over that the students and NQTs I work with get very little guidance in terms of evidence to put in their portfolios. I don't know if this is the same elsewhere? The new standards coming out this year streamline across ITT, NQT, threshold and then AST and excellent teacher standards, and so I would hope the guidance would help those training to teach, NQTs and possibly those applying for threshold too.

What Id like to know from the membership here is if any sort of guidance would be of any use to any of you. Sometimes its quite difficult to gauge how many student teachers or NQTs we have here in the forum, and I don’t want to fill the forum with stuff that no one wants, or finds useful, so if you think you or anyone you work with would benefit from such guidance, could you either post here, or contact me by PM and let me know.

Thanks

hi mundia. This would be especially useful to me, although not doing a teacher training course, i am doing a degree in early childhood and education studies, which will then lead into my PGCE.

The degree looks at teaching on many diiferent levels and allows me to carry out teaching practice that is not assessed - which is great for building confidence before the big PGCE year.

thanks.

laura x

As someone who did Gtp a few years ago I would have found it very useful - as mine was done on a wing and a prayer basis! It has made me resourceful - but when I was doing it I would have been glad of the help. ... and then there's the threshold to consider before too long! :o

Hi,

I am currently doing the GTP and so far my portfolio consists of a vast array of lesson observations, with a few other resources or examples of stuff.

I am currently teaching 50% and my mentor is observing most of the time. (Hence the quantity)

Anything you can offer. or further ideas for evidence to meet these standards would be useful.

Thanks in advance

Sharon

That would be great Mundia. I am currently studying for my PGCE so I would really appreciate guidance for the standards, some are a real nightmare.

• 4 months later...

Did anything ever happen about this? I'm a part time PGCE student who has had to defer until next year and I'm now told would I have to work to the new standards. I would really appreciate any guidance. I hope I haven't missed it somewhere though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)