Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyps What Does It Mean To The Setting?

HI

I gained my degree in 2005, have been working in my current setting since march 2006, am very happy there, when they employed me they clearly knew i was a graduate but at the time of employing me there was very little info about EYPS.

Now the director of the company (who happens to also own a company that deals with NVQ training(and this knows a lot re training and funding etc)) has been badgering me to do the EYPS. I personally don't mind doing it, but im caught up with thinking what is my director going to gain if i get EYPS...

so does anyone know:

what it would mean to the director of the company to have a manager with EYPS

and

What does it mean to my setting, do we get more money?

what does it mean to me?, do i get more money, does it better help my chances if i went for another job, not that i would though as i love it where i am but i guess its always good to ponder these questions :D

anyone shed some light?

Dawn

TRANSFORMATION FUND 2006 to 2008

Information for full daycare settings who may wish to apply for the funding.

The Transformation Fund aims to raise the quality of Early Years provision by supporting workforce development. All full daycare settings satisfying the eligibility criteria can apply for funding to enable them to employ a graduate who must then work towards Early Years Professional Status (EYPS) and gain the status within 2 years of receiving the funding. Click Here to see further information on the Early Years Professional or go to www.cwdcouncil.org.uk to find out where your nearest training provider of the Status is located.

Part of the fund is made up of:

1. Recruitment Incentive (£3000)

2. Quality Premium (£5000)

If you are a full day care setting in the private, voluntary or independent sector offering full day care and you are employing a graduate for the first time with a degree relevant to working with children you can apply for the Recruitment Incentive. Please note: The graduate you employ must have Grade C or equivalent in Maths and English.

If you are a full day care setting in the private, voluntary or independent sector offering full day care and you already employ a graduate with a degree relevant to working with children you can only apply for the Quality Premium.

If you are eligible for the Recruitment Incentive you will also be eligible to apply for the Quality Premium when your graduate is in post.

All funding is paid in arrears and will only be paid on receipt of completion by your setting of a 6 monthly monitoring form which has to be returned by the specified date and which will be detailed in your contract. The contract will be issued once funding has been approved.

ELIGIBILITY – if you can tick all of the boxes below you will be eligible to apply for one or both strands of funding.

Full Day Care Registered setting for children aged 0-5 years in the private, voluntary or independent sector and in receipt of Nursery Education Funding.

Open longer than 6 hours a day, a min of 38 weeks a year, minimum of 5 days a week

Minimum of 20 registered daycare places

Ofsted Inspection Outcome of Satisfactory or better at last inspection

Parental fees do not exceed £175 p/w (week = min of 6 hours per day x min 5 days)

Your setting does NOT receive GSSG revenue funding which already includes provision for QTS/Level 6 recruitment and staff development

If you have ticked all of the boxes above and wish to apply for either element of the funding please complete the application forms linked to this Information Sheet. All Application Forms must be sent to the Swindon Sure Start Partnership, 4th Floor, Premier House, Station Road, Swindon SN1 1TZ by 31st December 2006 to be eligible for the full funding. Applications received after this date may only be able to receive pro-rata funding.

Hi Dawn

For your director it would mean that they had somebody with this status in place as all settings will have to have by 2015.

For you it would mean that the job market, should you choose to move, would be your oyster I suppose as settings will be looking for candidates with EYPS and it would give you an advantage. As to would you get extra money, I suppose that all depends on your director and if they feel able to give you more and would want to recognise your status.

What has to be remembered is that it is a status and not a qualification.

If I had a degree I would go for it-it can't do you any harm and as I said would be an advantage to yourself as well as your setting. I don't have a degree but have a teaching certificate and although I have 17 years experience running a pre-school I can't apply. I am hoping that they are going to widen the criteria for qualifying.

Linda

If I as a retired person could do it I would - just to be able to say I have EYPS and be proud to say so. For someone who is young and will be in the world of work for some time to come I would go for it as soon as possible, as this is the future. Have you read the interesting article about EY's when Steve and Co went to talk to Ruth Pimental. EYPS is the future and you need to be part of that.

I don't think your setting would benefit from the transformation fund because as they already employ you (a graduate) they are already entitled to the recruitment incentive and quality premium but as has already been said all day care settings will be required to employ someone with EYPS by 2015 so maybe your manager is looking to the future. With a degree you could qualify for the validation only route which may involve only 4 sessions in university.

If you are an early years trained teacher with QTS will you have to undertake the EYPS before 2015 to stay on as a teacher in early years settings? I'm starting to worry whether I need to undertake the course

I don't know whether your degreee gives you QTS or if you're a member of the NUT but there's a very interesting article in their Teacher magazine this month, looking at the issues surrounding pay and conditions if you are a graduate considering gaining EYPS - they say that some employers might use this as a way of being able to pay individuals a lower salary and to vary their working conditions from normal teacher pay and conditions. It might be worth trying to get hold of a copy as there are some interesting issues to consider! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)