Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Weather And Snow

There's loads of stuff about the penguin film around at the moment - I bet if you asked parents for some donations they'll have things at home - cards from cereal packets, fluffy penguins in soap powder boxes - 'working in partnership with parents' was never as easy!

Then I used the big map of the world to talk about where penguins live, borrowed the dvd from blockbuster about life of a penguin (attenborough one), we walked like penguins and used balloons as babies on our feet, drew penguins and looked at their colours..... it was great fun!

Sarah x :)

You will find planning in the resources area under Topics for weather, a medium term activities plan and role play plan in the Planning section of the Resource Library, and also a whole 'how to do drama plan' with downloadable resources under Members Articles.

Wouldn't it be nice if we got a bit of "real" winter weather so that the children could experience it first hand!!! I don't think we're going to get any snow and ice this year are we?!

It is coming Wolfie,hang on,it will be here :)

We too are covering winter and talked about north and south pole,ploar bears and penguins etc

So I just made reference to other countries that have snow.The idea was to move on to our garden and feeding birds but we changed it and doing winter clothes next week and will return to the other when the ice and snow arrives.

you can make really really really good snow from the stuff that's inside nappies... I have no idea how I came by this information... someone was asking me the other day how I knew... and I can't rememeber :o - but anyhow, you split the nappies open pull the stuff out from inside them, put it in a bowl and keep adding a little water and mixing it up... and you end up with what looks like nice powdery snow... and it even feels a little cold if it's fresh too... my class love it...! you need about 6 or 7 napies for a tuffspot amount.

But not having anny children myself, I just have to be careful where I buy the nappies, or the school yard will be rife with rumours :D

Also, freezing small toy animals (polar bears, seals, penguins) in ice is cool and then just putting them in the tuff spot for the children to explore... the language that comes out of this is amazing... and problem solving as to how they got in there, how can we get them out is always a pleasure to listen to.

also, if you freeze water in jelly moulds, like a rabbit, then you can have cool ice sculptures... then you can sprinkle salt on them and they crack and make popping sounds... AND THEN.... if you tip a bit of food colouring on the top where you sprinkled the salt, you can see all the little channels the salt has made as it's melted the ice... ccccooooooollll.... lots of discussion on prediciting and explaing... in fact... I'm going to go and make some now xD:D

Edited by Guest

Can I ask anyone that has used the pretend snow, is it ok if anyone puts it in their mouth. I'm presuming it is, its just I have some sen children who will try!!

I have some staff that would try too :o:(xD

sorry don't know the answer to your question. :(

Peggy

We made a blubber mitten using lard and plastic bags in my reception class today for our investigation 'How do polar bears keep warm?' The chn absolutely loved it!!

I even had my boys writing indepedently woo hoo :D outside in 'the arctic' writing down all the vile things they could cover themselves in to keep warm...fabulous!

what so you just melted lard... put it in a glove... then they put their hands in the glove? ... genius! xD did they then test it in ice water or something? :o

Sorry for late reply....first they experienced huge blocks of ice with their own hands...they softened the lard by manipulating it in a clear plastic bag, then spooned it inbetween 2 bags and squished it to make the glove, then they put their 'paw' inside the lard free part of the bag to feel the ice with their 'polar bear blubber' The awe and wonder aspect was fab!

Catherine x

Wow! did you think that up yourself? I've just thrown away the fat from a gammon joint I cooked and wish I'd kept it to try :o How sad do I sound!!! I can't get enough of this site :D

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)