Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Discovery Bottles

I printed off info about discovery bottles and took the list of various ones into work this morning. I asked the staff to choose 2 that they would like to make or have the children help make. One member of staff chose one that has confetti and clear corn starch. What is clear corn starch - none of us know - do you know what it is ?

Hope you can help

Sue J

Apparently, cornstarch is the american equivalent of UK cornflour according to google. To make it clear it says you add an equal amount of cold water ...not sure how accurate the info is, it's off a cookery website..maybe any delia smiths or Jamie olivers out there can confirm this ?

If you add boiling water to cornflour it goes almost clear. I think if you boil it up and leave it you will get the best results good luck.

Cold water just makes a white paste (runny gloop)

Edited by Marion

got a list of discovery bottles from a course i went on just before christmas . left it at work of course but will try to remember it tomorrow and post some of the ideas. but the one that comes to mind is using hair get and things like marbles .perhaps clear hair gel and glitter would work.

Boiling it will turn out a cloudy mix not clear, for a clearer mix thicken water with arrowroot, well thats how it works for sauces in the kitchen!

Perhaps a glycerine would be better or we used baby oil

Inge

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the wonders of Discovery Bottles, but they sound like good fun to make and play with. I'm in my first year of teacher training and so of course need to justify everything I do (I'm even beginning to justify everything I do at home...or is that just the first sign of losing it?!!) Anyway, back to the point. How would I justify the making / use of the bottles in relation to the six areas of learning?

Thanks in advance,

Lynn.

i havent done them yet but i'll start it off

PSE- working together,making decisions,using diff materials

CLL- labelling,new words,show and tell?explaining what they see,following instruction

MATHS-use of lang such as empty,full half full etc,counting bottles,items in the bottle

PHYS-pouring ,using funnels,shaking the bottles,using pincer grip to put items in bottles

CREAT-decorating bottle,shaking to music/rhythm,using imagination,making up stories about the bottles

KOW-changes in the materials,experimenting with different materials,talking about the dangers of drinking it etc

Sorry its late and Im tired im sure all these lovely people will add much more tomo

We used cheap baby oil in ours and have had them for at least three years and they still all look as good as the day we did them, you can add food colouring , Glitter, sequins, beads, silver snowflake sequins look really good in blue oil. The children love them and the adults find them very therapeutic! Well worth doing.

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)