Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios

Deb

Hope you can help.

We have a child starting with us next week who is under 3 and who will have one-to-one support.

Do we include this child when assessing staffing requirements (ie 1:4 under 3 and 1:8 over 3) or does this child have own ratio ie 1:1?

Probably a silly question blame it on brain having had a couple of weeks off!

Well you've got me thinking too now Deb :D

I would think if you count the child and adult as 1-1 then the adult could not be counted to be available for the other children with a 1-4 / 1-8 ratio.

However, if you don't count the child and adult as 1-1, then I would think the adult can be counted as available for other children within the 1-4 / 1-8 ratio's.

I would think it depends on the level of support the child needs, I do not know of many 1-1 positions where the child requires 100% adult supervision / support / interaction.

Does that make sense?

Ofsted would want to know that you are within ratio as stated in the standards 1-4, 1-8, and that these adults 'are deployed' appropriately to meet the needs of all children. If you feel an adult cannot give to others other than the 1-1 child what they need, then I would count this adult as additional to standards ratio requirements.

Peggy

yes as Peggy says we have done it both ways.

One child who we got funding for but in the last term did not need so much 1:1 infact we were advised to back off as they wouldnt get it at school!So we counted her in with the rest.Also it was a time when we were not as well off1But we then had a child who needed close 1:1 so we didnt count them in the ratio.

funny I had this same conversation at work before christmas. I have a child for 4 days who has his own 1-1 worker, he needs supervision the whole time but we still count him in my numbers when we look at staff ratios and actually don't count his worker. We tend to count her as extra!! We did debate on ringing OFSTED to see what they said. just to make sure.

Thnking logically if the child has his own worker then he doesn't need another member of staff, so he wouldn't be counted in your numbers.

Don't start work till monday so haven't yet got in work mode.

Our support assistants are supplied by county (not employed by the school) when we need support for identified children and if they are there supporting the child they are not included in the ratios for the rest of the children

Sue

I've supplied at a nursery for 1:1 and was told at the start that I must'nt let the staff leave me as I was there for that child and no other. I was'nt in their ratios at all, not sure if the child was. :D

Many thanks for all your replies which have helped to clarify things in my mind.

Think we could safely assume that neither adult nor child need be counted in our other ratios (as they have their own ratio) but do need to be included in the total number!!

Just trying to think ahead should we be inundated with new enquiries on Monday.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)