Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inventories

Hi everyone

We all went in today to do our clean up before the children come back and I decided today would be a good time to do an inventory as all of our toys were out. I have put one together but I have just looked on the web at another pre-schools one and they listed in detail absolutely everything down to pictures on the wall and things like that. Is this necessary and will anyone ever need to see this inventory. I have never done one before as detailed as this and just wondered how necessary one was

Thanks

Debs

Ours has lots of detail, used for Insurance purposes to assess amount of cover needed, also for a claim if something happened like a fire they would expect you to have one showing all you would claim, and to show you are not under insured or over insured both of which can cause insurance companies to dispute claim amounts. It even includes disposable items like paint and paper etc or anything we would have to replace in event of fire, theft or vandalism.

we have also put dates of when we bought or acquired the items with cost new (or approximate ones if we did not know them) and each year we assess if this is realistic price and some have replacement costs next to them. Ours is updated and changed every time we throw an item a away, or buy new.

Took ages to set up but once done it works well. we set it up under headings, like furniture, large equipment, garden, disposables, kitchen etc.

We use excel which adds the cost up , surprising how much you actually have when you add it up,

Inge

ditto Inge, and don't forget items like books that staff use for training and professional development, if you think about it just one child development book cost in the region of £15-£20.

I have loads that would cost a fortune to replace.

Also any items that are at staffs homes, ie: files, folders, publications etc, again I have about 20+ box files each at £3 a time, plus their contents. These travel too and from work so may be lost if at work during a fire, also insurance cover if items are being transported in cars. Also staff uniforms / polo shirts etc.

It does take time to produce the initial inventory but easily maintained once set up. I gave each member of staff a particular area to do each. Headings similar to Inge. Also helps when looking at stock levels as well. :D

Peggy

Nice one, Peggy - to date I have replaced mine at least 4 times. I will no longer lend them to staff doing NVQ, why?............. I no longer have them! And WILL NOT REPLACE THEM!!!!!

Sorry, steam gone and now the one you know and love!!

I Know exactly what you mean rea, as a tutor I had the same problem as well, I have also lost many books to staff over the years. There is one I still particularly miss, can't remember the title at present but is was a grey cover and was a really good one about theorists, vygotsky especially, and a good critique of the different theories. :(

Peggy

actually you have just reminded me about a though I had at dark o clock the other early morning. maybe set up a book swap forum, what do you think, or have we already got one?? ( I should know really, but brain dead at the moment, and no alcohol yet, just a very busy week)

rambling now :(

peggy

see said I was tired, SUE R ( not rea) just tried to get in chat room to rea ( can't get in :( :wacko: xD:o sleepy smiley.)

Peggy

The inventory is such a logical idea, but something that I hadn't even thought of. Well - that's a job for a rainy day :o . I like the delegation part Peggy!