Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scholastic Books

HI we receive the nursery education mag from scholastic and recently there was a brochure in it for some scholastic books that they did.

They do one for each area of foundation stage, and other boks around themes, festivals etc...

has anyone used these books and if so how do they rate them?

Dawn :D

Guest DeborahF

Personally I find all the Scholastic themes books aimed more at the higher end of the Foundation Stage - objectives linked to final ELGs ratheer than the earlier stepping stones. And I don't feel that some of the activities are in the "true spirit" of the prinicples of the Foundation Stage, i.e. not always encouraging first hand experiences, investigation, exploration and PLAY!

Having said that, they are always a good source of factual information and you can always adapt their ideas and activities to what you want.

Hi all

not really used their books but we did join their book club and have had some lovely free story books, thanks to parents who order from them :D

Jo

Guest DeborahF

Phew I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the ideas too formal and work sheet based!! Actually I don't find many "topic" books and articles that meet my needs. Even the topic ideas in the Nursery Education magazine are often too formal for my liking.

I've just printed off Sue R's article on Motivational Planning to have a good look at later...maybe I won't be searching for topic ideas for much longer!! :D:o:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)