Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Magic Carpet

Hi there :)

Has anyone used the idea of a carpet where ypu imagine with children that you are travelling to different country. What do you do, say use o make it really exciting.

I asked on the TES forum but no one bothered to answer, and I do try and respond to other posts. Hope someone has got some ideas

Laura

We have done a magic carpet ride with our 3/4 year olds. We sat on a carpet in small groups and talked about where we could go. The children were amazing with some lovely ideas. We then had an A4 piece of paper with a border which was like a carpet and asked the children to tell us where they would like to go if they went on a magic carpet ride-they drew a picture and we wrote the words for them.

We have also done this with the story of the Blue Balloon-where would they like to go on balloon journey?

Linda

we had a visit from Bristol zoo who used this technique to introduce the animals they brough. worked really well and kept the children interested for ages.

she and them sit on carpet squares we had and close their eyes and imagine they were flying, what could they feel, as they went up she had them put their arms up to feel the wind etc. Then open their eyes and what could they see... followed by looking down and seeing in her case a rain forest with trees and very hot, having them land in the forest and feel the heat etc, she then had them looking on the forest floor for animals and at this point introduces one of them to look at touch feel etc. when they and all looked at one animal she had them search for another, discussing the floor and what it was like etc.

At the end she had them all back on the magic carpets and flying back home... then discussed what they had seen in the rainforest ...

She help their attention for 45 mins very easily.

I have done it in role play myself with child initiated play which went much the same way, with children giving their own ideas I just took their lead. It was popular and started with only 3 children but ended up with all the group!!

Inge

Inge that sounds lovely and I liked the way you adapted for child initiated. We are going to do a Mexico Christmas, so I have been looking for ways to introduce it in an exciting way.

we do it aswell.The last time was when we did safari,what would we need to pack?we travelled there on magic carpet,we talked about the magic word and holding on,doging aeroplanes and waving goodbye to pre-school and local landmarks.When we arrived I had pre-set up woodland in the neighbouring school grounds with big toy animals in the trees and hiding behind bushes.Also a river with numbered stepping stones and a big crocodile,we hyad aclip board and recorded what we had seen.Until we were chased by a tiger and run back to the carpet said the magic words and flew home!The children will carry it thru believe me just some children need time to losen up and go with the flow,the best was afterwards when we left it out and they role played it on their own.Good luck and HAVE FUN :D

Wonderful ideas using a magic carpet or the small tiles, and you can do this with both small and large groups and follow the chidlren's ideas. What fun you made yours andreamay. I have also done this with the children suggesting how we would travel and then using a very large piece of paper and the chidlen turn it into what they have suggested. I just provide crayons or felt pens and they collectively draw or decorate whatever it is. Then we all sit on it and off we go.

I hope this is OK but I've moved this topic into the new Drama and Role-play forum.

hi, we have done magic carpet activities after a course with Helen Bromley. She suggested using the Aladdin story as a stimulus, in particular a segment from the disney aladdin video where they first go flying, we used this in Reception with great success.

We provided images and landscapes from calenders and travel brochures, and got the children talking about where they would go on a magic carpet.

Other things we did from this included a magic carpet hire shop role play area (with a rental book, numbered carpet squares for hire, we made flying licences, booking forms, postcards, carpet descriptions for a catalogue, you could go on and on,

hope that gives you some ideas

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)