Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Should I Do?

beth1

I have just seen an adverted for a playgroup manager in one of my local papers, sounds interesting. Level 3 or equilient, 30 hours per week term time only, closing date 20 Dec 06. xD

What should I do? Should I bite the bullet and apply or just leave it for now? Umm I am still a few months of having all the information required for a managers postion anyway! :o

Also I cannot find alot of information on it at the moment and I need time to compete my study task (about 1/2 way though word limit! :D ) as I think its a application jobby!!!! :(:(

Does anyone have a playgroup managers job description for me to look at? It may help me to make my mind up or not!

Beth

Contact them, ask for further information and a job description which they should be able to give you with application form, we always do as each pre-school or playgroup will have different requirements for a manager.....

as it is playgroup please bear in mind that many staff find the hours paid and contracted are not always enough for the job and often find themselves doing more unpaid work in own time, you would need to ask about it .

Inge

Yes I agree, you need to apply - interview practice and finding out about different jobs is really important part of your professional development - it gives you an insight into what you want to do and what you dont. Plus its good to focus on getting your CV done so that you have a really good start on it and then can amend for anything else you want to apply for and can spend the time researching rather than composing your CV. I agree it would be difficult to say what it might entail for instance, we say that we are a playgroup but we employ a book keeper to do all or adminsitrative work - session planning and budget income etc, funding etc while the treasurer takes on a different role -some groups may not have the money to do this and therefore it falls under the managers role.

Nikki

Ok I will apply for the job, thanks for your advice.

Nichola G I already have a C.V. what I mean is an application form on top of my course commitments assginment due next week aggghhhhh :o:(

The job I went for last week appered in the local paper tonight umm I think someone lieing!!! also there is job for nursery nurse full/part time level 3, i am going to ring up tommorow asking very ploity to conder me for this post nursery nurse. :( Well beggers cant be choses!!!! :(

Must complete my writing on moral development then I will be back! xD:D

Beth

I work as a playgroup manager and i am also senco, behaviour manager, fundraiser, planner, finance, policy writer, stock taker, first aider, write all notices displays, btt, fsc, ouility framwork,obervations, progress records, speach thearpy, and everything else that is needed.

i do a lot at home none of which i get any thanks for!

Welcome to the forum Floss :D , sorry you are feeling undervalued at the moment, be sure the children do appreciate everything that you do for them. :o

Hope you enjoy the forum, it is addictive, but also you will learn that you are not alone and that other members certainly empathise. The forum is also a place which can motivate and offer a feel good factor with many ideas, opinions, features, articles etc, enjoy and look forward to reading more of your posts. :D

Peggy

Just to update you all that I have:

applied for the playgroup mangers job, :D

and

phoned the nursery I went for an interview but they didn't like me, so tough luck to them for not having a fantstic nursery nurse who knows what she doing and currently studying for the FDey course to become a senior practitioner/EYPs!! xD:( :wacko:

Seen one other job but its in a nursery which has got a very bad reputation as they constantly adverstise for nursery staff but on the upside always full of children. Not sure what that means to prospective parents and staff. xD:ph34r:

Now I really need to find a job as it is possible that my JSA is going to be stopped just because I attend college and work placement on a vounatary basis, what as the world come to? :unsure: ;)

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee help I really need to find a job, thinking I am going to send out more spec letters. But I don't know what to write? Should I mention that I need a min of 20 hours per week, that I need day realse to attend college and what the FD means to the PVI sector in the long term? :o:ph34r::(:(

Oh I would like to say welcome to Flosse, this forum is a great help when you need it and can get very addictive!!!!! :rolleyes:

Beth

Could you consider less hours and make up the other hours through voluntary experience Beth? I think I would mention on your letter that you are a FD student and the skills/experience you have,etc and what types of responsibilities the final qualification will equip you for. I would only give a brief insight and then go into further detail at interview stage. The secret may lie in not sounding like taking on a FD student is 'high maintenance' but rather to sell what is unique to your qualification if possible. I'm not sure if I would go into detail as to what the FD means to the PVI sector, it may make your letter sound quite political rather than selling you as a professional. Obviously, this is just my opinion but we are all rooting for you to get a job so much!

Hi Beth

I agree with Kermit regarding pushing what you feel the degree and FSPS will mean to the setting-if they are worth their salt they will already know this and may feel you come across as trying to teach them to suck eggs. Just let them know what you have done and are doing and the experience you have.

Good luck with the application.

Linda

Some really good advice there Beth. Offer what you have done already, demonstrate your experience but emphasise your willingness to learn from working in the setting. We are all hoping that you will be lucky soon and can settle down and enjoy the job you love.

Flosse welcome to the forum.