Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nec Education Show

JacquieL

Is anyone going to the Birmingham Education Show. Our school staff are going on Saturday as INSET. We are going to spend our ICT money and I'm off to get some new software and hopefully a thing called a pixie. Anyone using one of these?

I'm also hoping that I might be able to get hold of a copy of The Thinking Child's Resource book without having to wait weeks to get it from Amazon.

Pixies are great funto use and so good for small children. You can turn them into 'things' and the are so uncomplicated to use, much better than Roamer which you have to program to 90 degrees to turn a corner

Have fun using it

Kate

Hi, my copy of "The Thinking Child Resource book" came within a couple of days when I odered it from the publishers. (at half term!).

if you pay up front there's no postage and packing either.

Don't know the phone no. off hand but go to www.networkpress.co.uk. Its easy to track.

Susan

Hi Susan

I"m glad that you got The Thinking Child direct from Network with no difficulties.

I really don't know why Amazon say that there is a wait for the book - it is certainly very available! I also don't know -and actually doubt - if you have to wait weeks to get it - has anyone ordered it from them and found out? There is absolutely no reason for amazon to describe it as difficult to obtain!

The phone number for Network for anyone who wants to order by phone is 01785 225515

Hope this helps, and that you like the book when you read it!

Nicola

Yes Jacquiel I am going to too, for the fourth year running. I must admit I love walking around getting ideas and resources. This year I am going to get another puppets-by-post puppet to add to the collection. I think I am more excited than the kids about it, starting to think up names for him already! :o I think I need to get a life!!

Jay

Yes I will be there too, I go every year and catch up with old friends from previous jobs, spend loads of money I cant afford, and ogle at all the lovely things id like to buy fro school but never have a budget to at this time of year..... :o

Re: Pixie

When I use the Pixie with our children, I often attach felt pens (using rubber bands/sellotape or both, depending on pen type) and use it on the floor on huge paper.

It lets the children understand the the Pixie can "remember" their instructions because it repeats the same pattern.

I have used the Pixie in a lot in maths - straight lines, long lines, short lines, circles, etc., and the children like the "print-out" of their work.

The Pixie "drawings" are often used as the starting point for creative artwork, turning the lines/circles, etc., into more complex images.

Lots of fun; unfortunately the Pixie is not ours - we only borrow it from the local EY development team.

Diane.

We visited the Ed show last year and were inspired by Pixie - susequently two have been purchased and they have gone down a storm in Reception and Y1 and 2 - we are busy creating our own mats now to go with different topics - only drawback is handing it over to the children - it's great fun and much easier than Roamer!!! Only joking - the children do get a look in really!

Well I went to the show and oredered my pixie. I can't wait to get started. i also bought a copy of the thinking chiold Resource book which i delved into last night and intend to get going on some of the new ideas tomorrw!

Nice to see Sally Featherstone there!

I was quite disapointed with the Early Years section otherwise, as there wasn't that much there. Still I had a good day and got lots of software with my e-learning credits.

what we need now Nicola is a really good book from you on more fun and innovative ways to encourage writing and phonics.

JacquieL - that's an interesting idea! I'll put it on my list, to think about. It could be quite fun to write, and I agree that it would fill a gap.............

I'm glad that the Ed show was good. Sally said it was busy - I wish I could have been there too, but travelling with a 3 yr old and toddler is not something I do too frequently right now. 11 hour flight, with an 18 month old, hmm. After two hours I'm already like this - :oxD:( Maybe next year......

Glad that people managed to get Thinking Child and the Resource book there. Thinking Child is about to go into reprint, which is always an exciting piece of news for me - it means that enough people like it enough to buy it!

Let me know what you think of the Resources book too!

Nicola

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)