Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bikes

hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, im on my final teaching practice in a nursery setting. Ive been able to enhance most of the areas regulalry with ideas ive found from here (of course) and those ive seen in other settings, all except the bike area outside.

so far we've added supermarket signs, zebra crossings, car park spaces with numbers, round abouts and other road markings but now they seem to be getting board with them and are just riding around aimlessly. does anybody have any other ideas that i could use in this area? or if you know of any places that i could buy resources from to put in this area?, as its manily paper made or chalk markings.

for any ideas i would be very grateful!

thanks

em x

Do you have a petrol pump? We also set up a 'garage' with tools etc so they can take the ride on toys to be fixed. Do you let the children have chalks to mark out there own roads etc?

Could you make a 'petrol pump' with a short piece of hose and a box. You could get the children to help and papier mache it and / or paint it, add a dial or two with split pins. The children could then take it in turns to be petrol attendant - if there is a till about you could have that outside too. I did a similar thing with a nursery class once - and they really enjoyed it. What about making a lollipop too and using a refective material to make a tabard? :)

Great minds think alike J! :D

We also put out a bucket of water, sponges, brushes and cloths for them to wash the bikes.

Obstacle course things and large bricks for them to build around the path.

Art and craft things for them to make their own signs, traffic lights etc

Jo

:) our children love the car wash and tool kits,

i cannt think of any thing other than those ideas already suggested :o

how often do you get the bikes out? we changed from having the bikes out practically every session to once a week and found the children played better with them.

Guest sandcastles

we used to have our bikes out all day but the children were getting bored which lead to accidents and silly behaviour.since visiting other nurseries who do not have bikes we have realised just how much more we could do with our outdoor area. :o

We have a ticket system to aid sharing and taking turns - each bike has number attached and on the shed door there is a photo of each bike with a detachable, numbered ticket next to it - the children fetch the ticket for the bike they want a turn on before asking if they can have a go - all the children learn that they must swap over if the other person has the ticket.

What about using the bikes for deliveries e.g. the post, pizzas or milk.

We have our bikes available on alternate days and we do see more examples of other play when the bikes aren't available.

We have the bikes out once a week too. How about traffic wardens and police giving out 'tickets', or car parking. Opportunities for writing there, too

Sue

Ooh, we do that too - the ticket sharing system- in fact we use it for just about all our more popular activities, inside and out.

fantastic ideas! im going to discuss them with the class teacher and see what we can put together, never thought of a garage! very strange as im never away from one! :D

we have the bikes out everyday but im hopin we can reduce it to everyother day or less because it just causes havoc when the doors are opened and theres a mad dash to them!

Hi we have the bikes out everyday too, today some boys were 'mending them' so we got them out a tool kit and moved some chairs so the other children could drive into the garage and have thier car fixed. We also used to have a mad rush for the bikes every morning and also the same children always made it on first (some mums come in 5 mins later ) so now all of the children sit down at their table for 10 minutes ro keyperson / register time provides equal ops for children then

Deb

thank u all so much these are geat ideas, ive started to make a pump out of a crate and hose pipe! printing some signs out tonight to laminate and 2 tool sets for machanics so im lookin forward to tomz when i set it up to see what they think of it! thinking of addin a carwash later on, (it might be a bit cold tho!)

i have the same problem also alison, with the same children rushin to the bikes, weve started writing down who goes on what and swapping everyone over, but you seem to spend all your time then sorting out who goes on what etc.

just thought i would let u all know the garage is a success! the children who are always on the bikes are joining in being 'mcnanics' as one of the girls call it, which enables the shyer ones to hop on the bikes which they werent doing so much before. They are also coming out with some tariffic language! mine are very poor with their speaking but im seeing a different side to them! weve also turned the outside role play into a bus which they love, especially with me reducing the amount of days the ikes are out to 3 not 5, so thank you very much for your ideas!

Although we do have children rushing to get on bikes, we also make a big effort that all children understand that they have the right to ask for a turn, and model and model how to ask for a share. We really reward those who ask AND those who share, with lavish praise.When new children start it takes a lot of adult time to do this but it pays dividends. It seems to work. Our children use the language independently with each other. I dare say that it may not be so easy in some areas

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Don't know where I saw the idea but I thought that a bike hire shop would be a good idea. Use of sand timers, money and tickets combined. Thought it might give extension for some of the more able children.

• 3 years later...

just tagging onto a very old post that I found when doing a forum search - this has some fantastic ideas but does anyone have any suggestions for seperating out the area used for the bikes?

We have a very large, flat playground which is due for refurb. in 'a few years' but in the meantime how can be define the area where the bikes could be used thus keeping them safe and away from the other activities and play going on....

Any ideas?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)