Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Powder Paint - Any Top Tips?

Has anyone got any top tips on how to follow this routine through? Particularly adding the water. I used to use pipetts at ny other school but can't just get them'

Thanks a million :o

Guest DeborahF

Do you mean how do you get the best mixture? I always add a squirt of washing up liquid to the solution, it seems to make the mixing easier and also apparently stops the paint staining clothes so badly -though I've never actually tested this one out!

when we used powered paint in preschool we also used to add washing up liquid and a glue you made up from glue flakes, this made it thicker and it stuck to the paper instead of running down

The flakes are like wallpaper paste but without the fungicide. I think its by Scola and is in the catalogues. It makes the paint go thick so that (a) you don't get such a mess and (:o you don't have to add more powder paint if the kids put too much water in. We use a double-ended medicine spoon to put in a tiny amount which is all you need - good for fine motor skills I suppose! Why not try a turkey baster if you can't get pippettes? (can't spell that.......)

The scola cel also stops the paint from flaking off the paper once the picture is dry. :D

Peggy

as for how much water..........

just a few weeks ago we did 'rain' pics. We placed a table outdoors, paper held with a pebble and the children spoons a variety of coloured paint powder onto their piece of paper.

Wait for the rain ( it was a day of intermittent showers :o ) and hey presto a rain picture. the children investigated dry paint powder, then soggy wet paper, then the end result of mixed up colours on the dried picture. :D

so my answer to your question is ' a shower of rain to 3 heaped tablespoons of powder paint. xD:(

Peggy

I don't know if this is what you meant but we get the children to mix the paint themselves. We wet our brushes then wipe the brushes against the side of the water container to remove the excess. We then dip our brushes into the powder (we have containers that hold smaller containers - if you see what I mean! :o) and transfer this to our palette. This first mixing is very thick! We then talk about if we want our paint that thick or if we want it to be more runny. The children can then add more water, using their brush and the 'dip, wipe of the excess' method, if they want to change the consistency.

:( Peggy is that a metric or imperial shower of rain ? :(

actually we measured in 'dollops', 'dribbles' and mostly 'drops' ( alliteration in art xD ) and luckily it wasn't 'spitting' or pi**ing it down. :o:( :wacko:

Peggy

actually we measured in 'dollops', 'dribbles' and mostly 'drops' ( alliteration in art xD ) and luckily it wasn't 'spitting' or pi**ing it down. :o:(:(

Peggy

Never tried it with rain but what a good idea :D we sometimes use those sprays you use for plants.

One of our most angelic 3 year olds went rushing outside yeaterday and returned to announce to her mother it was p***ing down! Mum had the grace to blush! :(

Thanks for all the tips. I did mean to say, what is the best way to add water when theyhave put in the powder painy, Brushes is good, but any ideas for warter control.? :o

how about the pump sort of bottles that the soap comes in. the sort you have to push down to get anything out of.could add the washing up liqud to it and get it all done in one go.

we add washing up liqud to the paint as it does stop staining.

and is it just me or is blue powder paint a bugger to mix everywhere.

Peggy what a fantastic idea with the rain and the paint!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to try it with the children - now I find myself wishing for dollops, dribbles and drops!

we used to have a system that worked

on the easel we put water in a pot, sponge, next powder paint (six small tubs), next palette

they just then worked along the series of pots, sponges, pallettes etc and at the end they mixed

the sponge helped to control the amount of water used

the kids got used to the procedure and hey presto they mixed their own paints and made own colours from powder paint

it did work well

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)