Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Strategy

We have just had an inset day with the local infant school and they have said that because everything needs to be done much faster with the new literacy strategy that we need to cover all the phonemes in nursery. What do you think? I know what I think but I wouldn't mind other opinions.

Sue

:o I'd say assessment for learning! Your observational assessments of what your children know, understand and can do will dictate what your children 'need' to do next.

Yes this was one of our strengths when inspected this year but we are being asked to do the daily discrete phonics activities with all the children. Starting off with the initial activities in playing with sounds (which we do already) and then moving on to cover all the sounds.

Sue

I would suggest you look at the new Frameworks for Literacy and Numeracy in the Primary Strategy. Go to the Standards site. there is a lot of reading there and a lot of food for thought. Some of my thoughts about it are not too kind!

Yes this is what the inset was looking at. The senior team at the infants have just had training on it and they were feeding back to both schools!

Hi and welcome kpalmer.

Why do these things never life better!?

I have recieved a hard copy this morning but havent done more then flick the pages, however it clearly states Foundation Stage rather than reception which obviously moves the goal posts a little but if you are doing plenty of introductory work and the school uses a synthetic phonics approach which moves fast then I would have thought you are both doing what you should?

If, however, your children go on to school at staggered points in the year then perhaps you could rethink what you are doing with those children who will be moving onto school? Could that be the schools concern?

We arent making any changes whatsoever in our expectations of the children in our nursery.

The statements are already in the FS curriculum guidance for CCL as a green stepping stone so why should they be taught earlier? :o Some of our nursery children will be ready for this step and some of our reception children won't be!

I think you should wait to see the revised EYFS framework. The consultation response clearly shows that the Rose review outcomes will be embedded in the document and this will all be statutory. The early teaching of reading/phonics is stating that this should start "by 5" This is also qualified by "within a rich early years curriculum" (That's directly from a senior regional CLL advisor). I interpret that as starting in the reception year you teach the 44 phonemes/blending and segmenting in a daily discrete session. However you can't do that if in previous years children haven't developoed their phonological awareness, hearing sounds, discriminating sounds orally both phonemic and environmental, playing with rhyme, rhythm, alliteration and that would be within the nursery curriculum.................. - so my opinion, wait until feb/march...............whenever they finally get this EYFS out!!!

CX

Unfortunately it is not open to debate as we share the same head teacher. We have to introduce these sounds in nursery so that the reception classes can get where they should be by the end of reception and so on. The new literacy framework expects them to have covered more by the end of reception and so the earlier stuff is being passed to us to cover.

Don't get me wrong we have covered sounds at nursery but not at such a fast and systematic pace.

I will keep you posted how we get on :o

Sue

sure, but the EYFS will be statutory - the frameworks are still guidance. The end of key stage expectations are the early learning goals linked to the FSP, also statutory and also not changing (except one elg which is waiting for parliamentary approval.

Doesn't help much when faced with well meaning but misguided smt's - could you contact your FS advisory team for clarity??

Cx

Our head has said much the same as Catma and that we wont be changing the way we are working until the EYFS is published and if necessary. I think Im being incredibly dense but I dont see huge differences in the new from the old or maybe I was teaching more than I should have been xD:(:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)