Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Using An Interactive Whiteboard

apple

Hi Liza -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your first post! :D

Lucky you. I'd love to get my hands on an interactive whiteboard. We had a discussion quite a while ago now on these tools, which you can find here.

Also, I mention somewhere in that discussion a site which gives lots of links about whiteboard stuff. You can find that site here.

Hope you find them useful. Let us know how you get on with it!

Regards, Steve.

Hi lisa, welcome & good luck with the white board. We do have one but I'm not very adventurous I'm afraid, no time to make the resources but some of the activity type programs that you already have for mouse skills are quite good fun and the children do enjoy it. (Leaps and Bounds, Izzys Island).

We have just had easiteach, maths resource bought, which is good and the maths teacher who was demonstrated suggested that the children need to know how to mark make on it in order to be able to drag objects around.

so have fun & play together!

Good luck

Susan

I am green with envy. I would love one of these (same as Steve).

Today was a case in point. I was making a mind map about magnets and was writing down the children's ideas, but had to rub it off the board for more info. to be put on, whereas I could have had it printed off....similarly, I was doing one for pirates.

They would be great for the children to join in with and be able to keep a copy for future reference, finding the odd word/picture....and as for the art work you could do ...my mind is boggling.

Sadly, we are only getting 2 in our school. One for Y7, the other for Y6.

One day......... (my prince will come??????!)

Hi Janet -

I've edited your first post in case anyone clicks on it - there was an extra little hyphen (-) thing in there that stopped it working for Mundia.

Thanks for the link which looks very useful! :)

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I am new to this forum but I am a leading ICT teacher (the only one in our area for foundation stage). I work in a nursery and we have just got a smart board. So far we have used the 2simple paint (which the children love as they can do mark making on a large scale), and we have also used various drag and drop activities. This is really useful for those who haven't got very good hand eye co-ordination. We have also used it for showing topic related powerpoint presentations. When I think of other ideas I will let you know but we are considering setting up links with the local infant school and doing a picture on the whiteboard with the reception class.

Hi Susan -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your first post. Sounds like you have a lot of experience to offer here in terms of ICT.

We've been impressed with the quality of the 2simple software as well. You'll find a couple of 2Simple product reviews in the relevant part of the site - if you'd like to add your own you'd be very welcome!

So pull up a chair and make yourself at home! :D

Hi Liza

I've use an interactive whiteboard in nursery and the children looked it.

For the theme of homes i used the three little pigs story cd rom which i thought the children maybe afraid of but weren't!

I've also used 'Rainbow fish' for grouptime and assessment - as the programme is ideal for counting. Shelia Rae is another one because the children love to make the items move which is good because the pen can be used for hand and eye co-ordination. Have to tell you though shelia rae does tend to drive you crazy after a while!

We're getting a whiteboard in nursery where i work, i can't wait to get my hands on it.

Have fun.

Suk.

Hi Mundia,

We just do our own very simple power point presentations Just a picture and some comments on each page (sometimes questions to ask the children). We have group times in nursery where each member of staff takes up to 10 children and sometimes we show a presentation and discuss each picture. Some of the topics we have covered are The Queens Golden Jubilee, an ambulance visit as well as the seasons etc. We also put a scrolling presentation on when we have an open evening so the parents can see the types of activities that we do in nursery.

Susan

Guest Guest_liza

:D thanks to all of you for some great ideas with the interactive whiteboard. We've had it installed for a few weeks now and the children are fast becoming whiteboard wizards.

I visited many of the links suggested and found the 'Count Us In' site and activities really useful.

We've now also been able to use all the powerpoint presentations we've made over the last year to greater effect. We made one for mothers day (photos of mums with their children... aaww!) We sometimes have that running as the children come in in the morning. Using powerpoint in this way is also a great way to enable the children to look back and comment on what they have done over the past few weeks/months etc. We even managed to import this into the whiteboard software (smartboard Notebook) and they had great fun drawing different features on their mums (glasses, orange punky hair, bows, ribbons and beards!!) Not sure if the mums would be impressed... but we are keeping that one a secret :o

Another useful powerpoint is our 45 keyword one which is a great one to run while the children are waiting to go to lunch!

Thanks once again everyone

Liza

• 4 months later...
Guest Tracey F

I was measured up for my smart board today :D

Installation is next Tuesday - I can't wait to get started. I think my first programme I will try it out with is alphabet soup, but I am sure there are loads of others that will be good too :o

The shortest distance between two points is usually under construction

Guest Sycamore

Hi

We had an inset on Monday about using the Smartboard. It was great as it was very basic. The floating tools and the smart notebook were very good, these come installed automatically I believe.

My children love the board, as we had it fixed at their height and they use it freely. I even had a 2 year old sibling graffiti (sorry I mean express himself) over it with a non- board pen and it came off! (eventually with recommended smart board cleaner).

You'll love it.

Guest Tracey F

That's my main worry - that someone will 'express' themselves with a wax crayon or something :o I have explained to the children that it's coming and asked them to make sure that NOBODY writes on it with ANYTHING!! Still my smartboard is installed tomorrow, and then I have this term's cluster ICT twilight session, on using an interactive whiteboard - perfect timing!

Guest Tracey F

Well it's in! And we haven't stopped using it - the children LOVE it and all the parents keep asking me what this 'giant' computer is that I've got :o

I had the computer club in yesterday afternoon, what with it being new and all...and one of them said - its you doing it with the laptop! when I told them to just press on the screen. Once they got the hang of it though they were buzzing - especially as at the moment I only have 'infant' type programs on it and they were Yrs 3-6 - they loved doing the simple maths program on it.

Today I set it up so that I had the 'marquee' screensaver on before the children came in - i set it quite slowly and they were really good at thinking about who's name it might be - e.g it's Laura oh but it could be Lauren. They just loved seeing their own names up in lights! The only thing is that its a bit too high for them, so I'm going to have to sort out some kind of step for them so that they can reach all the way to the top. Even the bikes have waned in popularity in comparison! The novelty will no doubt wear off, but at the moment we are having great fun! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)