Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Glitter Shakers

we are thinking of our planning for christmas. :D

Someone has come up with the idea of glittery water shakers using a small drink bottle.

Please does anybody know what, or if, we should put something besides watter and glitter in the bottle someone has suggested glue :o

thanks

Think glue will just clog it up actually, sometimes glycerine can help slow the glitter falling. If you use a jam jar you can stick a cake decoration or toy something on the lid and stand itupside down in the snow.

Liz x

thats what I thought about the glue but they said it was supposed to thicken the water :o

your idea sounds much more convincing , thank you :D

Hi, I've done something similar with my children and they loved it. THe children helped themselves to what ever they wanted to put in the bottle -we had some lovely ones- and not so lovely! (some children used pasta which turned very gooey!)

We used:

glitter

tinsel

oil

fairy liquid (they loved this one as the bottle fills completly with bubbles when you shake it)

sequins

shredded paper

...but to answer your question- we used just water in our bottles and they worked fine. We did give the children the option of coloured water as well. We taped the lids of the bottles on so that no-one would be tempted to drink them!

THey looked really lovely on thewindowsill when the light shined through them- reflected lovely colours across the room!

Have fun! :D

Glycerine works well, but is costly as you need quite lot to make any difference to the water, we also used a sugar solution, just dissolves sugar in water, but cannot remember the quantities think we did it by trial and error. This was a lot cheaper.

we have put seqions in too which worked well with the glycerine mix, just make sure lids are very tight , or the temptation is to open the bottle, would not use a jar for it, unless it is a plastic one!

Inge

rolls of tape at the ready, first thing we thought of :o

only plastic bottles allowed, we have 2+ so too risky using glass but thank you for the idea :D

• 3 weeks later...

We have filled plastic bottles with all sorts, some liquid with beads, pebbles, shells, tinsel, some coloured water and oil mixed, gets interesting as it settles, also bottles without water and again loads of different stuff,natural and man made. They are often used in the home corner with a milk crate, have been drink bottles, pirate booty, milkmans bottles, witches spells, etc. If the bottle lid is kept dry put white glue inside and round edge of bottle and screw tight together, leave for 24 hours to dry. This stops the top from being unscrewed by all but the strongest.

cooking oil can do the trick too. We even used cheap hair gel (obvioulsy careful of allergies) but gave a good effect of slowing it down and the coloured gel also added to the effect.

Bear in mind securing the lids. We made discovery bottles at our parents inspire workshop and we some extra ones were made for use in class. Although we thought we had secured the lids pretty tightly with electrical tape, little fingers will pick. They have now been secured with araldite (excuse spellings) although I think the glue gun may have worked too. Have fun... we did

Ooh! I'm really looking forward to all the christmassy art... you've mentioned all the bottle type things I could think of but I remembered another craft that went well, along the same idea. We got lots of empty cd cases (jewel cases??) from our local scrapstore. The children put sequins inside and taped them shut with glittery tape. They were beautiful - a bit like a kaleidoscope effect really.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)