Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Developing Child

hey everybody, im fairly new on this forum. I am trying to research about Gordon Wells, but cannot find much information about him and about his views on cognitve and language development. Does anybody know any good websites or books to assist me in this research topic. thanks everybody. liz xx :o

Welcome, Lizzie!

I have a copy of his book 'Meaning Makers: Children Learning Language and Using Language to Learn'. Hodder & Stoughton, 1986 ISBN 0-340-40798-0. In the blurb it says he directed the Bristol study 'Language at home & at school'. It followed some children from their first words to the end of their primary years. The book contains a lot of observation transcriptions etc. 11 chapters: The children & their families; Learning to talk: the pattern of development; Learning to talk: The construction of language; Talking to learn; From home to school; Helping children to make knowledge their own; Differences between children in language & learning; The cenrality of literacy; The children's achievements at age 10; The sense of story; Relating practice to theory.

There's quite a bit on 'story' in it.

The notes at the end of the chapters include references to works by a C.G. Wells but I'm not sure if it's him as there are also references to Gordon Wells. Unfortunately it doesn't have a conventional bibliography. Anyway I hope this gives you a starting point!

Thanks for the Gordon Wells link, just what I needed - as well as module's to hand in and work on my tutor has asked for language research/linguistics etc it's all so interesting just wish I had more time to read all the stuff I keep printing off the computer!! :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)