Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Week

As part of our book week next week it has been decided that children may come to school dressed as a character from a children's book. Staff are also expected to dress up too. As I don't have an extensive wardrobe of 'dressing up clothes' (or any to be honest), and time is rather limited, I'd welcome some simple, but effective ideas.

I did think of Percy the Park Keeper, as our topic is Growing this half term, I thought that might be quite simple, but I can't find anyone who has a workman's type overall! Bob the builder also crossed my mind - but our Reception class hard hats are a little on the small size.

I have a nursery nurse in with me, who is equally lacking in inspiration/cash - somethings from the same book might be nice - curiously she's not too keen on my suggestion of the Ugly sisters!!!

Hope someone can help -

Harricroft.

THis topic brought back such a bad memory for me. When I was about 8 I went to a Brownies/Guides fayre and there was a fancy dress competition - the theme was characters from children's books. My mum was really busy and only thought about my costume the night before and all she could come up with was Wendy from Peter Pan. I turned up wearing my nightie, clutching a black crepe paper 'shadow' of Peter Pan whcih sort of flopped about and looked unrecognisable! Of course, most of the other children were in really elaborate costumes. Everyone kept asking me what I was meant to be. :o I just wanted to curl up and die!

Not much help to you though. What about Winnie the Witch - one of you the witch and the other a black cat??? I'm not feeling very inspired at the moment but good luck! :)

Carol

Hi Harricroft -

One of the interesting things about having user names is it's very difficult to tell the gender of the member you're chatting to. I notice that your two suggestions involved male characters.

Not that it matters in most conversations; however it might be relevant here. Um - are you a lady person or a gentleman person? Just so you don't feel alone in declaring yourself, I myself am a gentleman person :o

Hi all, and thanks for the replies so far.

Helen - little red riding hood - yes, this crossed my mind - just a trip to the fabric shop. Several other members of staff have mentioned animals - but would the wolf mean hiring a costume? (I'd have to fight my nursery nurse as to who was Red Riding Hood and who was Grandmother - and as I'm two years and four days older than she is I'd probably lose out!)

Beau - sorry to bring back bad memories - actually, apart from going to school in a nightie (!) your mum's idea of Wendy with a paper cut out of Peter is quite a good one. Winnie the witch - yes, does she have a green face? I can't remember.

Umm! You're right Steve about user names not being gender friendly - both myself and my Nursery Nurse are female!! Bob the builder and Percy the Park Keeper just happen to fit in with our topic (was it Bob the builder or Jack and the Beanstalk - or Postman Pat I mentioned - gosh - how many glasses of wine have I had???

mundia - hadn't thought of Goldilock - although it's an obvious choice in lots of ways - now who do I know who's got a blond wig.

Still not decided what to go as - please keep the suggestions coming in - I'll let you know what we decide and how things go.

Harricroft.

HI,

I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't like dressing up!

Its almost a relief to find out that I'm not BUT 1 of the easiest hings I ever did with my LSA was to go as Jack & Jill. She is Asian and wore her "normal Asian clothes" but put her hair in bunches, I wore shorts( it was summer & I don't ususlly dress like that for school!) and wrapped some paper round my head, ab andage and a plaster and a bucket carried between us.

We looked a little incongrous but children did eventually make the connection!

So far we have managed to avoid this for this year and as we dressed up in November for fund raising, I haven't suggested it! I was the literacy coordinator until last week.

good luck & have fun. :o

Susan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)