Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Abroad

I am going to Ghana followed by America to teach in January and I'm getting very nervous...as well as exctied...now! Was just wondering if anyone had done anything similar and wanted to share any hints and tips?! Lots of people have tried putting me off by telling me stories about the toilets...or lack of them! But I'm determined to make it a positive experience. Lots of friends and family members don't think I'll cope but I'm hoping it'll be the making of me! We shall see!

Ali :)

Good luck! :D When do you go to America, were abouts and how long for? I have been to America to do summer camp and various holidays. I was suprised how quick I picked up American English, now I can speak each form of English seperate and mixed together. :o Sorry not been to Ghana.

Beth

Going to michigan detroit to stay with friends of the family. Can't wait. Teaching in an international school for 2 months. Think Ghana will be an eye opener! In the process of having all my jabs...not nice...but very necessary!

Go for it Ali, you will never regret it. I have taught abroad but lived abroad for alot of years. go with an open mind, realise that you can't always get the things you have back home!!! but enjoy it. I'ved lived in Itlay and Spain America and the Ivory Coast and don't regret any of it. Do what you do with the children in this country and learn from it. Children are children all over the world and you don't need language to play and love them. wish I was 30 years younger I would go like the shot again. Can't wait to retire to go again.

Good luck and enjoy it, don't listen to other people they are only jealous that you have the courage. Becareful on what you eat and be sensible, watch food left uncovered and also the Ice cubes, they are usually made with the tap water, which doesn't suit everybody!!!

good luck and keep intouch on the forum!!!!!!!!

Hi Ali, in what capacity are you going to Ghana?

My friend has just gone to Ghana with VSO for 2 years, I could try and put you in touch with her if you would like (although internet coonection very variable)

I taught in zambia fr 4 years and it was the most wonderful,, challenging, scary, exciting, nerve wracking, traumatic, frustrating, humbling,.... experience of my life.

Toilets are liley to be te least of your worries, you get used t the lack of them.

It will be a fantasticic experince.

I'm going with 'teaching and projects abroad' volunteer work. I am very excited but at the same time very very very nervous. I'm hoping I'll come back a different person. That would be great to get in contact with your friend, thank you!

I taught in Spain for 8 months with the British Council as a volunteer language assistant. It was very scary at first as I didn't know the language or anyone before I went and there were a few low moments in the early days, but the memories of the good times (people, children and the culture) far outweigh these. I'd do it all again if I could (not sure hubby would agree though!)

As lots of wise people told me before I went - you can only regret things you have tried and even if you hate it and come back early, at least you've had a go. When presented with chances like this, you can't pass them over as you'll only spend the rest of your life thinking 'what if...?'

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Hi.

I'm teaching in a British School in Libya. Loving it. I have a mixture of children, mostly European.

It is my first teaching post overseas and I was excited and nervous, at the same time.

Take the differences/lack of facilities in your stride and you will throughly enjoy it, I'm sure.

Can't really advise about jabs and what to take etc as I am in North Africa and very different place to where you are going, I can only imagine. (I am in a Muslim country, so I cover my shoulders and wear long skirts or trousers when I am out and generally try to respect the local customs etc).

Perhaps chat to someone who has already worked there/is working there (if you haven't already).

GOOD LUCK!

Keep in touch.

Best wishes, Ali... and just give the best of yourself, while always being open to all that you will also learn from the people Ghana. It is more what one receives than what one gets to give. It will be a wonderful experience. Look for the essential :o.