Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Theorists ~ Most Interesting And Why?

I have to do a presentation on a theorist of my choice in 2 weeks time and have been told to carry out research on this particular theorist. I am looking for inspiration, as everyone seems to be up for doing Jean Piaget, who, in my opinion everyone knows. I think 40 odd Piaget presentations will get a tad tedious!

I would be interested to know which theorist you would consider the most interesting for a presentation and also, the reasons why you would choose them so as I may make a decision for my presentation.

Thanks! :)

From what I remember, and it's a bit hazzy, Vygotsky could offer a different view. While Piaget said that children learn from playing and then move onto the next stage, Vygotsky said children learn from playing but an adult could help them to move onto the next stage. Piaget left the children to play alone. A lot of Piagets theories were based on watching the children in test conditions, a room with toys, whereas Vygotsky observed real situations. I always prefered Vygotsky over Piaget because he saw that adults could help a child to move on rather than leaving them on their own. What a child can do today with help, tomorrow he can do alone.

At least that was always my take on it, I think! :D

When I studied child psychology at night school, we looked a lot at the work of John Bowlby, who was an attachment theorist. This linked in with the key person approach in childcare settings and lead to my project on 'mother care or other care - the value of a key person in a daycare setting'

Have a look here for some information on him and the theory.

RB x

The American John Dewey is popular with the people who run the Danish Forest Nureseries, and it's interesting to compare & contrast him with Piaget. Unfortunately I can't remember much of what I studied :o , although I do have a couple of his books at home.

I'm not sure if she is classed as a theorist, definately a modern day expert, professor emuritious (spelling) TRICIA DAVID, lots of research on European context of Early Years. and TINA BRUCE is always a favourite of mine, her Principles for Early Years have stood the test of time and are still relevant and quoted today.

enjoy

Peggy

p.s. I also like Vygotsky, the fact that his work wasn't known until after his death because of the Iron Curtain. ( I love that quote Rea :D )

I also like Margaret Donaldson 'teaching and learning within the childs' context'. She also wrote a very good critique of Piaget.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)