Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Complaints To Ofsted About Ofsted Inspections

wow I can not believe the bad experiences some of you has was the aim not to have a consistent approach to gradings when Ofsted took over inspections from SS and still we have inspectors who are nick picky and influenced by personal views and beliefs. I would definately complain if i was not happy with the report at the end of the day these reports have a massive impact on settings down to staff morale occupancy recruitment and retention of staff. You can not let them get away with inaccuracies just because they are OFSTED!!!! :o

During our recent inspection, we found that our EY advisors were giving advice that contradicted what was wanted from Ofsted, we mentioned this to our inspector at the time, and she did say that this was not the first occurrance of this, and she would feed it back. Since then we have a problem that one of our actions, is contradictory to our advice from EY. :o I have mentioned this to our EY advisor, and hopefully she will come up to a solution, of how we can implement that action. Our Ey advisor do now have regular meeting with Ofsted though, to try and ensure consistency, it is just a shame, as our inspector found little else wrong, apart from these.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are not happy, then complain. It does depend on the advice but if you feel that the advise that the EY advisor gave you was sensible and sound and that it is carried out in other settings and been accepted by Ofsted (look at previous Ofsted reports), then challenge it.

Just a final update on my complaint. Ofsted actually held a meeting with myself regarding my complaint. I was grateful they took the time and I did find the meeting useful because Ofsted went through in more detail the notes made. However, I felt they did 'manage' the meeting and I didn't get chance to argue my case as the Inspector was very dominant, but I knew before the meeting that I wasn't going to change the outcome I had received.

However, I felt it important, especially as one of the points that had been marked down was actually OK'd at an inspection by the same inspector at another setting since my inspection. Although the Inspection report I had was quite specific in her objection to the advice we had bee given by the EY advisor, she twisted what she reckond she had meant.

However, having said that I hope that my complaint will mean that that particular inspector will be more consistent in Inspections. What I am finding the more I investigate this matter is that an Inspector interprets the Standards based on their personal preferences, training, background etc. And what one Inspector says is OK another Inspector will judge Satisfactory (or worse).

What I am finding the more I investigate this matter is that an Inspector interprets the Standards based on their personal preferences, training, background etc. And what one Inspector says is OK another Inspector will judge Satisfactory (or worse).

Sheila, thats a real bug bear of mine when I go to different settings. So many different recommendations from inspectors. What one setting is asked to do isnt asked at another. So unfair to providers who pass on everything else to suddenly be told they are doing something wrong. :o

What I think would be great if all the Early Years Advisors in their different areas, sat down and made a list of all the different advise they have heard given to providers by Inspectors. This then be presented to somebody with some clout in Ofsted, who could then see just what inconsistencies there are in Inspections and how are we, as providers, ever going to be sure we are doing the right thing.

I wish Ofsted Inspectors and management teams would read these forums more and just address a situation, which I think is getting ridiculous as what one inspector accepts, another doesn't.

Please, please, please, Ofsted let's get your inspector's all working from the same work sheet. At the end of the day, all settings have to have the same paperwork in line with the standards, so surely there can be some consistency with what is required.

Sorry - end of moan....

Our advisor sits in on the feedback of as many settings as she possibly can. That way she challenges there and then any differing application of the standards etc. Perhaps this is what is needed-it's bad enough when there are inconsistencies around the country but within the same area and sometimes by the same inspector is even worse.

Linda

Im starting to feel like we are punishing the children now in asking them to share and take turns!

Surely having to wait for their turn in an activity is the same as expecting them to share the toys etc... or am i going mad?

So instead of bringing up patient and rule respecting children, we are now going to teach children that overcrowding and squabbling over limited space, queue jumping and having your own way is the best way to have it?? Honestly. Its not like we say they cant do an activity ever, just not all at the same time.

I thought that so long as it worked for your setting, the children were thriving, and their was a good reason for doing everything you do, then that was what mattered, and ofsted dont even tell you how you should do things when you ask, just that you are doing something wrong.