Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Conkers

we had conkers in our water tray, a parent came in and said that we can't have conkers this year because there is a possiblility they are diseased, has anybody else heard this?

No diseases, she may be confusing the fact that the news was saying that because of all the very hot weather we had, there would be a shortage of conkers this year, but in fact that hasn't been the case, at least not round here.I agree though, so long as they washe their hands afterwards there shouldn't be a problem.

I feel envious now. My boyfriend and I went away this weekend and there were loads of conkers outside our hotel. Everytime we walked past them I thought how much the children would love them, but I didn't dare pick any up as we were away for the weekend to get away from work - and I coulnd't bring myself to do it!!

Wish I had sneaked out in the night now!!

When we got back there was a parcel on the doorstep, and my boyfriend promptly asked what I'd been ordering for work now (sound familiar anyone!!). For once, I couldn't remember ordering anything. When I opened it, it was 5 children's books. I had entered a Nursery World giveaway competition a couple of months ago, and had obviously won - was dead chuffed! :D

If you do a search on a well known search engine for 'conkers disease' you should get several newspaper articles on the subject. I have tried linking them, but they are obviously archived so the link doesn't work.

It sounds as though it is the tree that is diseased, not the conkers themselves, so a good ol' risk assessment and plenty of handwashing should be sufficient.

The news I saw said that a huge quantity of trees had been infected but this isnt passed onto the conkers and isnt dangerous to people so ordinary hygeine should suffice

From a quick search it seems the worry is there wont be enough conkers for the World Championships (wouldnt have thought that they would be playing if there was any danger)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

http://news.aol.co.uk/triple-threat-to-uks...008102109990006

Edited by Marion

I missed this topic as my computer has been down.

As has been said - the conkers are not affected and so OK for children.

I'd Like to stand on my soap box for a moment if that's OK, and make a stand for NATURAL vs. PLASTIC.

As we all know, it is vital that young children have access to and are encouraged to explore as many natural materials as possible, preferably outside, but if not possible items bought into the nursery/classroom - obviously Autumn is an especially brilliant time for this - conkers, acorns, pinecones, bark, twigs, branches, leaves (wet and dry = different experiences), mud, rain, wind, dewy cobwebs - as well as stimulating the senses - can be counted, sorted, matched, rolled down guttering, thrown into containers, used as printing and painting materials, carried around, large collage, still life drawing, make musical instruments with and so on and so on. Hands can always be washed afterwards, not matter how dirty and muddy they may get!

Enjoy.

Monica

X

There is nothing wrong with playing with conkers because of the serious problems horse-chestnut trees are having with pests and disease. these are rife at the moment due to the dry conditions over the last three years. The disease cannot be passed on to humans by playing with conkers. If the mum knows otherwise perhaps you could ask her to let you now where she heard this?