Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Story Book With A Baker In It!

Hi everyone

Can anyone suggest a story suitable for nursery about a baker, or has a baker in it? I am being observed and have to tell a story and have a maths extension activity after. I thought about a story including a baker and then doing a maths activity relating to 5 currant buns. Can anyone help....please??? or any other good suggestions from the experts?

Thanks brown eyed girl

Guest DeborahF

"Teddy Bear Baker"- can't remember the author I'm afraid but you'll probably find it on Amazon? Or Mr Bun the Baker by the Ahlbergs - one of the Happy Families series.

Hi there, what about the Little Red Hen. If you are comfortable with story telling and the children know the original you could go into role as the baker and tell the story of what happened next time. I was thinking that having missed out on the lovely bread that smelled of sunshine and poppies the cat, the dog and the big fat pig felt they had better help next time and the following harvest all helped then the baker could make currant buns for everyone. Maybe he'd need to make 6 if the miller was going to get in on the act. You could ask the children to act out roles with simple stick puppets. We have a nice set of fake currant buns made from salt dough, painted the appropriate colour, with gold glitter on the top to represent sugar. They were made years ago and varnished. So far......they haven't suffered tooth damage!

Hope you like the idea!

AOB

Guest DeborahF

Just looked on Amazon - for some reason it is horrifyingly expensive on there but the author is Phoebe Worthington - you might find it somewhere else maybe?

* 'In the Night Kitchen' by Maurice Sendak

* 'Master Bun the Baker's Boy' by Allan Ahlberg and Fritz Wegner

* 'The Rascally Cake' by Jeanne Willis and Korky Paul

* 'Sanji and the Baker' by Robin Tzannes and Korky Paul

The doorbell rang by Pat Hutchins - mum makes cookies and they sit down to eat, but the doorbell rang...as others rock up they have to share the plate of 10 cookies further and further until they all end up with one each. Baking AND built in calculation. xD

Cx :o

• 11 months later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

Hi there

Can I suggest Mr Wolf and the Three Bears or Mr Wolfs Pancakes by Jan Fearnley because the books link with traditional tales and the children will be keen to predict what happens next ... will he or wont he eat someone - the big bad wolf I mean? You could count the ingredients and the number of fairy tale characters involved.

Obviously there is the Little Red Hen and the Gingerbread Man which promotes role play, cooking (weighing and non standards measures) and PSE discussions on friendships and consequences. Making bread and gingerbread men is exciting and multi-sensory also our class made their own class book which was lovely.

:o

Hope this helps?

Edited by LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)