Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For 2 1/2 Year Olds

hali

Hi all,

We obviously plan for all our children using the stepping stones from the foundation stage - i was told by my accreditor that we should not be following this for our 2 1/2 yr olds as they should be following the birth-to-three matters.

This is fine but we have had as yet no guidence on this and am not sure what to to for them apart from giving them a key worker and doing basic observations etc.....

Any ideas??? :o

Hi Hali

I have to say that we adapt the majority of out planning for the younger aged children. We have alternative activities for the three year olds to what the pre-school children are doing a lot of the time so we tend to keep them together with the under threes. We don't start them till 2 years 9 months anyway and by the time they have settled and we have got to know them they are almost 3!

Linda

Hi Hali -

I've taken the liberty of moving your post to the Birth to Three Matters forum which seems more appropriate - hope you don't mind! :)

Also, if you have a dig around in this forum you'll find some good information in it - and Sue Zubair will probably come across it. She has a lot of experience in this earlier stage of education, and hopefully she and others will be able to offer you advice.

Regards, Steve.

We do the same as Linda. Ours start at 2 1/2 and by the time they have settled we start the child profiles (term in which they are 3). We have taken some of the stepping stones and use these for them. There is just too much work involved in doing a whole set of separate planning for basically one term. In the beginning the more important area is PSED - making sure they are happy to be left and learning to trust us.

I think the Birth to Three Matters is more suited to daycare settings that take children when they are babies and would therefore use it for 2-3 years before going onto the Curriculum Guidance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)