Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Progress

In relation to the topic "Predicting yr 2 sats" which firstly Id like to say thanks for all the info you gave me, my head has today handed me "Focus Foundation Stage Progress Tracker" for me to use in order to assess my children and predict sats etc. Anyone else using this? If so it would be fab to hear your comments- Im busy looking at it now and theres a lot to take in.

I just had a look at the tracker. .... It certainly is not the Foundation Stage Profile and therefore you would still have to assess against the profile statements separately from this. It is a horrible attempt to reduce children to a formula and should be resisted. They don't seem to be using the profile statements, just the Stepping stones, and they have invented their own 'banding' system - lifes too short. Chances are that the new EY framework will outright ban any form of assessment other than the profile statements. Good thing too judging by this.

I agree Androyd. Im sure that was a kletter from QAA that was kindly put on here in the summer saying that we should under no circumstances be doing any other kind of assessment... can anyone remember where it was put as Im unable to locate it. Green if we can find it between us you may find it helpful to wave under your Heads nose.

From the NAA 2007 conference yesterday (for LA persons with responsibilities for assessment FS- KS4)

"You cannot predict KS1 results from the Profile"

"There is no national statistical correlation at all"

Cx

Thanks guys since then I have spoke to my Head and we have come up with a "best of both worlds" approach. we can adapt our baseline we use for the nursery children using the tracker which makes it easier to see the contribution we make to our children's education and then we'll still obviously be using the profile. Going back to androyd's comment, the tracker does use profile statements- is has 18 bands and every other one is a profile statement. However think at long last weve managed to agree on the assessments we use. I always knew how I wanted to do it the problem was getting the Head to agree because all they are interested in is figures, facts and stats! Thanks for all your advice- Im sure Ill be back for more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)