Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Need Some Cheering Up...

Hi Guys,

Feel absoulutley rubbish after the last few weeks at school, kids are fine and i love being in reception (3rd year now after NQT), just had enough of explaining my every move and step to a boss who doesn't seem to give a stuff about the FS.

We have been told to mark our kids low, not in sweet, dancing around the point words but straight down the line, mark them low. (Value added) This has made us feel like whatever we do is not valued and to be honest pointless.

I have then been pulled into the bosses office to explain my planning, how we record, our observations and assessment. (surely i shouldn't be telling the head this?) She wanted to know what my continuous provision sheet was and how did i know that all objective were being achivieved and that each child was doing them. (I will try putting all my planning on here tomorrow so you guys can have a look!)

Feeling blue, nothing ever seems to be right or enough at our place...

We've had a few visits from someone from the LEA and i think he's putting pressure on her because of the focus on the FS at the moment. Taking it out on us unfortunately.

I think that's the main problem - we have no coordinator. I've basically plodded along with the help of this forum hoping i'm doing the right thing, we've had no outside help except for moderation.

Hi Buttonmoon - try not to let it get you down! I really feel for you (having had experience of working for "The Head from Hell")

Is is possible to get some support from your local AST for Early Years (if there is one) or from the LEA - perhaps an advisory teacher or some such. I think you sound like you are in a lonely position. Does your area have regular 'cluster' meetings where local reception teachers can meet up? Could you possible start to organise one???????????? These can be very supportive.

Good luck, you are doing a wonderful job!

Thanks everyone,

There are cluster meetings but we've always managed to have meetings, courses or parents evening when they happen! Hopefully we get to get together on one this term. I think the boss said she was going to call the EY team to ask for advice, this will probably bring some people in.

What i can't understand is we are doing the EEL project this year and as i understand it we will smooth out observations and assessment issues then.

I know it not just me as i've spoken to a lot of other unhappy members of staff - there's a lot of sad faces in the staffroom!

Sounds like you have identified the problem then? If you can get some support and get to the cluster meetings you will feel better. Tell your head when the next meeting is and stress how important it is that you are released. It can be a lonely place in reception when you are the only teacher but we are all here!

Hope you get something sorted and feel better soon. I'm sure you are doing a good job!

It sounds like you're doing a great job buttonmoon - I've been in a similar position where the head had no interest in Reception and I was the only one who had any Reception experience in the school and so was never sure whether I was doing the right thing or not! It was hard work co ordinating myself! But have to say this site has been a saviour. Do try to get to the cluster meetings - I've found them a great place for finding out how others run things and just being able to share ideas. Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Grrrrr this is an all-to-familiar predicament.

I am sorry for you and hope things get better soon. Just remember you're doing a good job - the fact you've posted on here proves that.

SB:)

Hi,

Here is my weekly planning as i said i would post, please tell me what you think. There is a plan for each day and then a continuous provision sheet which shows what is going in the areas that are always out.

We do observation during our focused work, sticky label quick observations an trackers once a term (more if able).

We use a carousel system in maths with me and my TA doing one focused activity with a group each lesson. We then play and observe the children if able.

continuous_provisiona.doc

monday.pdf

Tuesday.pdf

Wednesday.pdf

Thursday.pdf

Friday.pdf

I've had a quick look and ................ oh my goodness what ALOT of planning you do!!!!!!!!!

It seems very 'formal' to me - how long does this take you???????????

I looked at your Continuous Provision (which I personally wouldn't bother to write down because a look around your classroom would tell you all you need to know) I have those fantastic provision sheets that I got from this site laminated and displayed in each relevant area so that covers that for me.

Also I had a quick look at your 'Monday' - the first thing that jumped out at me (and I might have misunderstood it) is that there only seems to be 30 mins of child inititated (which YOU DON'T need any LTs for) I have a good two hours of C I every day and short bursts of Teacher directed inputs.

I don't really do much planning - quite a bit is done retrospectively. I go from the children's interests. My planning is:

1. Long term planning - setting out ELGs

2. Termly plan (brief) with the ELGs (sometimes broken down) with suggested activities

3. A brief weekly overview (who knows what will be happening on Friday!)

4. Daily plan - with Learning intentions and often filled out retrospectively.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for you comments, unfortunately that amount of planning and formalisation is what my head wants. It doesn't take long and to be honest i added the continuous provision sheet so the boss knew what i was talking about!

Yes, horror of horror they only have 30 odd minutes in the afternoon and they didnt used to get that, my head doesnt like 'all the playing' so that is all im allowed to fit in. (and she doesnt like that.) Come to realise that our ideas about the early years dont really match so have decided after long chat with other half that i will be looking for another job next year.

ps I have got the continuous provision sheets but as said my head likes to know exactly whats going on, why, how im going to observe it, how the children will record whatever they are doing....ah!

I think I would ask my HT and Advisory Teacher if we could have a meeting all together to talk about the FS curriculum and what should be in a typical day. You could suggest that you are supported by the AT to help plan your timetable and activites- hopefully the s/he will point out to your HT what should be happening in your setting. If you get the Big O you will be severly criticised if you are working a formal curriculum, and your HT needs to understand that if nothing else. Your AT may be able to suggest a leading setting that you and your HT, or just your HT could visit- you need some outside support here.

It is very hard to work with an HT who is basically unable to understand the FS or even wants to, as they think it is all nonsense. It may be that you will have to move on as working against what you know to be right will end up making you ill. You are not alone, and attending you Cluster Group meetings would help you even if it is only to let off steam.

Thanks for all the replies - i know the planning seems pretty formalised but i do try and fit as many play activities in as possible, as long as they are related to the subject they seem to slip by the boss.

The children only do two focused activities during the lessons, the rest of the activities they can choose to do basically what they want.

I think we're receiving pressure from the powers that be to explain everything were doing!

Buttonmoon - I think you have the right idea when you say that the problem is you don't share the same view of good FS practice with your head. You seem to me to understand what good practice entails and judging by your planning you are prepared to work hard. Go and find a headteacher who understands what is required of the FS or at least is prepared to trust their FS teacher to get it right. There are plenty of other schools out there and plenty of heads who are not locked into 'formal is good/play is bad'. Try and get out before Ofsted come calling because your head is on a crash course to fail.

Have added a sample of continuous provision in construction area . Can add or change photograph etc.Construction_Cont_Prov_JR.doc when appropriate. I have these for all areas if they are of any help.to anyone.

Denise

Hi Denise

I'd be interested in seeing these for other areas please :D i think they are a lovely idea, we do have some around pre-school, but i like yours better :D:D

cheers Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to have taken so long. I can't take all the credit for these as they are adapted from some LA guidance. They can be helpful for parents and students as well as practitioners.

Sorry to have taken so long. I can't take all the credit for these as they are adapted from some LA guidance. They can be helpful for parents and students as well as practitioners.

provision_area_sand_doc.doc

Music_Continuous_Provision.doc

Provision_Area._book_corner_doc.doc

Provision_Area._dough_doc.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)