Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Regional Words And Phrases...

Running Bunny

Not sure that a cob is flat, Marion!

and yes Running Bunny, a tea cake is most definitely best toasted!

A fadge is more like a big bap not a cob

Hoo ye gannin? 'How are you?'

Hoo's ya fettle? 'How are you?'

Y'areet, hinny? 'Are you all right, kid?'

Champion. 'Very good, very well'

Bonny day the day. 'It's nice weather'

Cowld the day, marra. 'It's cold today.'

Whey aye, man. 'that's right'

Give ower, y'a kiddin. 'Come on, you're joking'

Hadaway man. 'I'm still not convinced'

Ootside! 'Let's settle this outside'

Tara now, pet. 'Goodbye (

Ye knaa what ah mean leik. Do you know what I mean?

ow wow - mardy! I'd forgotten that one. That was a fave when I was young - my mum calling me a mardy b*tch. Yes she was fab my mum! Amazing I have any self esteem at all!

And the 'can you borrow me that'. LOL I thought that was a London thing. Another East London one is making you plural as in 'What are yous lot doing?'

Guest MaryEMac

I've just remembered something else my mum used to say when I was crying. It was " be quiet, or I'll give you something to cry for". Funny thing was we always used to stop!!!!

If someone was being nosy mu granny would say, " she wants to know the ins and outs of a mags (magpies) bum and how many lanes and turnings till you get there" :o

Mary

Dont know if these are a regional thing or not but my grandad had these sayings...

Stone the crows

Shut your cakehole

two wrongs dont make a right

well I'll go to the foot of our stairs

My dad says...

squeeking gate gets the oil

buy it cheap you buy it twice

Mom is...

less of your lip

:D:D

In my neck of the woods, a cob is crusty, and is also known as a batch, somehting noone ever heard of when i arrived in Birmingham many decades ago.

to 'have a cob on' is to be grumpy.. in localspeak.. 'hers gorra cob on'

where do you stay to mean live I heard fro the first time in Afrika!

Oh no... say goodbye to your planning ladies (and gents!)

Was trying to find the meaning of 'div' as I call my children it (at home not work!) and wanted to check it wasn't from a dodgy origin.....

found this site....

www.urbandictionary.com

enjoy!

Pandamonium, that's great!

I was only having a discussion the other night with my husband about the word 'miffed' (we have an interesting homelife :o ) The explanation doesn't really explain the beginnings of the word, but has highlighted a whole lotta new sayings for being 'not very happy with someone or something'

Look it up for yourselves if you want to see what I mean....!

My husband used to live in South Africa and when you ask someone to do something they may say I'll do that 'just now' which usually means it will get done eventually but don't hold your breath! If anyone says they will do it 'now now' you may as well give up, it will never get done. I have a S African friend who uses the phrases too!

liz x

Here in this part of Scotland the ones that had me baffled for a while are:

'The morns morn' (tomorrow morning)

and

'the back of 5' - e.g the time someone will be at you house - still haven't worked out if that is just after 5 or just before :o

I'm from South Manchester and we definately ate barm cakes and oven bottoms - 2 very different bread rolls. :)

Oh and what if a person truanted ? In South Manchester you 'wagged' school. (but of course I never did xD )

Megsmum

Edited by Guest

A Lincolnshire one that bugs me- and I think it's even more common towards Nottingham etc - is 'duck' or 'me duck' when addressing someone, as in 'Ok, me duck?'

But they say Lincolshire proper is dying out because of all the 'incomers'. Maybe we'll end up with just a few distinct dialects, or worse still, just one. I really hope not!

A phrase I used to use when having in depth discussions with my step son, who could easily have been a politition the way he made everything sound true, even if he was wrong xD was, "same difference". he could never make sense of that one. :o

Peggy

playing truant = bunking off

Thinking of the previous 'borrow me that' reminded me of people using learnt instead of taught - the teacher learnt me how to do sums

I have been reading these posts not being able to think of any somerset sayings and then they all struck me at once:

Gert lush - nice

How be'on? - How are you?

'right Young'un - How are you?

Was bist on about? - What do you mean?

Right my lover? - How are you?

Basically the jist of Somerset is to put ER on everything, reading the other posts makes you realise how unique everyone's dialect is, ooo-ar! However Somerset is NOT the same as Bristol's Vicky Pollard!! (But quite similar)

Edited by Guest