Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Forest Schools

This term we have started our forest school and I was wondering if other have experince of this?

Every Friday one of the three staff takes their group of children outside for the whole of the nursery session. Whatever the weather.

We've bought some gorgeous little waterproof outfits from Scandinavia (salopettes and jackets) and jackets for us, incase of bad weather.

Its my first one this week so I'm slightly nervous!

The ethos is that the session is completely child led although we do take a back up activity to inspire!

We've had two outdoor classrooms 'built' and we've started to plant them out, also there is a wooded area at the top of the school field which we can use. The children can climb trees, make dens. Pretty much anything they want to do.

Its all rather exciting as its still obviously a very new venture for us!

Fluff x

Hi Fluff

I havnt had personal experience but have read about them and they sound wonderfull!!

Hope you have a great time exploring what you and the children can do... enjoy :o

Guest alisonjayne

hello Fluff it sounds fantastic, we have a large wooded area in our school that we could use in this way, but how do you get around the ratios?

Look forward to hearing more about this as I think its a great experience for the children

Ali

I visited a fantastic one in Denmark a few years ago. Quite an experience - the open fire etc!!

Have you done the training then?

We haven't done any formal training as such but there is a preschool not far from us up near Sherwood Forest and they have their forest school once a week. They hire the St John's Ambulance hut (if I remember rightly!) and the parents take the older children from the session straight there rather than to the preschool. The younger children don't go on that day from what I gather.

The four of us staff visited for one session each and we absolutely loved it! We wandered off into Sherwood Forest on a really wet and miserable morning but it was only the adults who noticed the weather!!

The hardest thing of all was letting the children do their own thing. You really notice how frequently you usually jump in to interrupt their play when you know you can't do it!! Despite the rain they were all over the slippery logs and up in the trees. They soon learn what is safe and whats best left for a dry day!

Ali we take our key group of 13 children with one parent helper and one of the students if we have any on that day. That means that as we have three groups, each child goes foresting once every three weeks.

At the end of the session we have a quiet time where we talk about the session with the children over hot chocolate and biscuits!

Fluff x

• 5 months later...

We've been doing Forest school since September so I thought I'd give an update on how its going.

FANTASTIC!!!!!

The children simply love it. Its proven to be very successful with two groups of children in particular. Those with oodles of 'energy' (you know the ones I mean!) and those who are normally very quiet and don't mix well without help.

We've requested regular feedback from the parents too and they've only got positive comments.

During the sudden snow burst we nipped down to ASDA and bought some sledges. The path was really icy and on a slope so that was 2 hours of "whee"-ing!

The favourite bit though is rolling down the hill back to nursery. Whatever the weather!!

Actually I tell a lie. The most favourite bit is still the hot chocolate and toast when we get back!

Lucy x

Guest Wolfie

Hasn't someone on the forum just landed a job in a Forest School? Oooh, I can't remember who! But I'd love to hear some more stories from both of you about how you organise your day and the activities that you enjoy most! :)

• 1 month later...

I am very interested in Forest schools. We have a large 'woods' area right next to our playing fields, and we have our own access pathway from the edge of the field. We often go for walks in the woods and collect bits and walk in the stream and watch the ows in the adjoining farm. We are in a perfect position to become a Forest school, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Any helpful info. greatfully received. :o

Shirel was the one who had a job at a forest school. I dont think things are going too well though

...AND HERE I WOULD PUT A SMILEY LOOKING A BIT DISGRUNTLED BUT ALL MY SMILEYS HAVE DISAPPEARED

...and here there would be another one...you get the picture...

Wow that sounds amazing! We don't even have any grass in our school playground (or in the area - we are inner London). I would LOVE to do this. We took our kids to Wandsworth common a few weeks ago and they absolutely loved it! Think I will take them again soon x

Guest Wolfie

Would the Learning Through Landscapes organisation be of any help to you - they might have some info or know who you need to contact?

Their website is www.ltl.org.uk - sorry, I've yet to learn how to do a proper link!

Oh, and welcome to the forum marionat! :o

You need to be forest school trained in order to run the sessions I think, there are specific procedures for provision, and first aid training is a little different.

My experience so far has been fantastic, the children have two hours of outdoor experience with access to woodlands, a walled garden a meadow and an avenue of trees to run through. The idea is that the same area of woodland is revisited to capture the seasonal change and extend discussion about the environment.

I think common sense prevails generally, if you have a lovely outside area you can use it to your advantage offering experiences that we all know work and tailor to your group of children, forest school specify small groups of children going out, but if you want to be offering the forest school curriculum/experience (we link the FS stepping stones to the activities) specifically you need to be looking at the websites for advice in setting up and training.

p.s our children pay extra to be part of this - I have a little problem with that xD - or is that just me?? Makes me feel it is not therefore accessible (inclusive) for all?? :o Don't think it would be wise to mention me concerns at the moment (see my dilemma posting!!) :(:(

Edited by Guest

Guest Wolfie

Everywhere I look there are articles about Forest Schools at the moment...there's a big one in this month's issue of EYE too with some links to training providers for courses. Well worth a look....

hi all, our preschool were really lucky as one of our mums had just completed the forest school training and asked to use us as guinea pigs! of course i jumped at the chance. it was great the children gained loads, its interesting to see other ways of learning not just in classroom and outdoor play area. we had several children who 'worked' so much better outside even though it was windy and rainy most weeks!(wellies a must!)

we live in the new forest if there is anyone out there interested in having forest schools i can get details, funding i'm sure is available from somewhere ask your PDW's

I will try to attach some pictures soon, on Monday we took the children to the camp and made nettle soup, the children gathered the nettles, the garlic, helped peel potatoes, collected sticks for the fire, it was brilliant, they were so interested and all tried the soup, some even pretended to like it, they're faces said they didn't like it, :o:( but they were so proud of what they had done, and I have to say it was nice!!

I think the activities just let them have that freedom and the opportunity to realise safety around the fire, and take risks they would normally have no opportunity to do, I would reccommend this outdoor experience for all children it is brilliant, only hope I still can work here - find out next week if I still have a job! :(xD

• 10 months later...

I know this post is fairly old now but I wanted to add a little bit!

I'm about to finish my second year of Foundation Degree in Early Years and one of the modules this term is Forest Schools and Outdoor Play.

I am going to a Forest School near Bury St Edmunds in a few weeks and am really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to get lots of ideas and Inspirations for my outdoor area at work.

While I'm here... I am developing an outdoor risk assessment sheet and planning sheet. Does anyone have any examples I can have a look at?

Kerrie