Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please

beth1

I have worked in a Children's Centre before. I had a fantastic experence working with the under 2's and being looked after to a point where I saw a postive attutude towards looking after their staff well and taking any problems they had were delt with quckly.

I have also worked in day nurseries in the private sector and found that their attutude towards their staff were completetly different as I have just been remided why I left working in this sort of setting on a pemenate basis this morning (see my other post in the lounge for details).

Relecting upon my expereinces in childcare I have noticed a great deal of differences in attutde between each sector. I would like to know if what I have seen is the normal behavior of Children's Centres. If so please let me know so I can apply for all the Childrens Centre jobs that come up in my area.

Thank you in advance.

Beth

Hmm. I'd say any setting was only as good as the staff and management running it Beth. You'll find Children's Centres with major problems and private/voluntary settings which are run fantastically well - and vice versa.

So I don't think you can draw any general conclusions from your experiences really. :o

Hi again Beth

Can't speak for Children's Centres, but felt I had to defend the good DNs!

My nursery is a brilliant place to work. Managers and Directors are caring and encouraging, especially in matters of training and development. Any problems are dealt with promptly and sympathetically. This leads to excellent staff relationships, creating a happy environment which parents soon pick up on, leading to positive interactions there.

I realise this isn't the case in all DNs (had a dreadful experience myself a while ago), but please don't give up on the private sector entirely!

Sue :D

• 1 month later...

Hi Beth

I work for a private day nursery in partnership with public sector childrens centre.

We have had our difficulties due to different 'cultural' styles of the two sectors and how these are supposed to fit together.

At first we had a lot of queries from staff about job roles (some of which we are still trying to find the balance) /salaries/working hours etc etc and whilst both sectors have different styles of operating its important to remember that what we are providing is for the children.

A private nursery will need to make money - a public sector nursery is simply about providing, this is the first thing we all need to understand. If you find a setting (like ours I hope!) that can balance the sustainabilty and provide quality care and education then surely you should have a happy environment

Jayde

• 1 month later...

I manage a day nursery and two childrens centres' I agree a setting is all down to the management and the staff team that you have in place. i am very lucky I work for a fantastic company who value the staff and their development wether it be a childrens centre or one of the private day nursery's we run. The best way i find to evaluate what a place is like is to get a feel for the place on visits and look at how the staff are and interact with the children. (Staff turn over can be a good indicator) :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)