Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Childcare Register Consultation

Guest cathy m

just wondering how many of you have completed the consultation and what your general thoughts are. The closing date is 29th September

Cathy

I found one consultation document on Ofsteds site. Its about Independent schools, and I didnt know this but, apparently the schools currently have inspections every 6 years! The consultation is about changing to having inspections every 3 years. There's a thought, lets check everyone equally :o If you're interested here's the link. :D

I think this is a VERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENT / CONSULTATION, it is about changes to the registration requirements of ALL settings, not just Independent schools.

here is a bit of the document:

PART 1 – THE RATIONALE

12. The Government’s ten year strategy for childcare – Choice for parents, the best start for children – sets out a commitment to rationalise and simplify the complex and confusing arrangements that currently exist for childcare. The consultation document on the Childcare Bill published in summer 2005 outlined proposals designed to achieve this.

13. Currently, childcare provision for children under the age of eight, including that in schools, is required to be registered by Ofsted and comply with a range of standards and regulations. Separately, nannies and carers for children in their own home can apply to the Childcare Approval Scheme, managed by an independent company under contract to the Department for Education and Skills. However, these combined arrangements appear confusing to parents and are not the most effective way of administering arrangements to identify provision that has met a certain suitability and quality threshold. Indeed, each of these arrangements applies a different set of standards.

14. The Childcare Bill, which was introduced into Parliament on 8 November 2005, will introduce a new, reformed regulation and inspection system for childcare, creating two distinct regulatory frameworks:

· one for children up to the age of 5 – the early years register (which is underpinned by the Early Years Foundation Stage) and

· one for children aged 5 and over – the general childcare register (to be known as the Ofsted Childcare Register).

as stated above there are 2 main registration routes.

1/ Early Years register

2/ Ofsted Childcare Register

it goes on to say that maintained schools who have children aged 3 years+ do not have to be registered under route 1-early years register. Therefore the inspection of 'practice' for the younger age range in schools will be done alongside a full school Ofsted Inspection. I am aware that this is already done this way but personally I would like to see young childrens services in schools inspected in the same manner as the PVI sector.- just my opinion. xD

I also need to look at this closer because I think this document / consultation may also require that early years registration the PVI sector will have to comply with the FSC, whereas now it is only a requirement if you accept the NEG. If following the FSC becomes a registration requirement then we are all in the PVI sector held to ransom on how much the government decide to pay us per child with no opt out clause to charge parents as a setting not providing NEG places. :o

Peggy

Peggy

Peggy

Thanks Peggy, you always make it sound simple, just what I need. :D

"I also need to look at this closer because I think this document / consultation may also require that early years registration the PVI sector will have to comply with the FSC, whereas now it is only a requirement if you accept the NEG. If following the FSC becomes a registration requirement then we are all in the PVI sector held to ransom on how much the government decide to pay us per child with no opt out clause to charge parents as a setting not providing NEG places. "

Thats my main worry Peggy. There are excellent providers around but in my honest opinion you cant beat a playgroup, and if as you fear, adhereing to the FSC will be a requirement a lot of places that currently run as 'real' playgroups will close and the children, maybe against parents wishes will have no choice but to be in a more formal setting. :o

I'm in your gang, Rea. Whilst working in a DN, arguably an exceptionally good one, I still believe that Playgroups were/are the real best option. Certainly, that's the route my children took!

Anyway, that's my opinion, for what it's worth. Yes, I worry for local playgroups.

Sue

I'm in your gang, Rea. Whilst working in a DN, arguably an exceptionally good one, I still believe that Playgroups were/are the real best option. Certainly, that's the route my children took!

Anyway, that's my opinion, for what it's worth. Yes, I worry for local playgroups.

Sue

What made preschools / playgroups etc so good is the power of the parents, this is now being taken away, all settings may as well be 'maintained' because the PVI sector will have to follow government curriculums, ours and the parents voices will ONLY COUNT ON ELECTION DAY. This is not a party political broadcast, I think they are all as bad as each other. I just don't like the subtle, way all these changes are leading to what can only be described as 'main stream'.

It is subtle because so many changes have clouded our recognition of the actual end result of so much new legislation.

Anyone that doesn't agree with the ethos of the FSC will have to shut up and get out because they will not be registered under Ofsted. Where then is the choice for parents and more importantly, where, when or how do children have a say in their freedom of choice??

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)