Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Table Resources... Anyone :)

I am wondering if anyone knows where to download some cool early years emergent writing templates for me to put on my writing table... if not i would have to get working on microsoft word :)

Hi there, thanks for the warm welcome, i have been a member for about 6 months but so far have used it by just viewing and searching the vast number of posts. This was my first actual post :) It is great to have a proper foundation stage site!!

I was talking about simple letter writing formats, invitations, postcards, anything that the kids can fill in on the writing table. To help them do meaningful work (hopefully).

Thanks

i used the term "fill in", i read it back and cringed!! I mean give them a basis for emergent writing, not fill in like a worksheet!! AAARRRGGHHHH

For most of that kind of thing I genrally raid the post office, bank, sainsburys especially for phone cards, I keep old envelopes, the pre-paid unsolicited mail is good for providing that. Is that the kind of thing you want? :D

Without wishing to seem judgemental have the children only to access these things at the writing table? What about a portable writing box - take outside, move to role play area, quiet area etc. We use a crate with a handle, a tray on the top layer for pens, pencils, pens with fluffy tops, highlighters, crayons etc. plus paper clips of all different sorts. Underneath, in the box, there are clipboards, post-it notes, notebooks, old diaries with pencils in the spines, party invitations, envelopes, birthday cards etc. You can add laminated examples of cards modelling 'to' 'from' names etc. There are Bob the Builder sheets, with a picture of Bob at the top for the children to use as they see fit. Address books are good too. We also have another box which is possibly more popular with white boards and pens, with the special rubber thingummies.

Hope this is helpful.

T.T.S catalogue do 2 photocopiable books that link with different role plays. They are called writing through role play and you can view them on line.

We have a similar resource to the member called LJW. We call it our office box. It contains junk mail envelopes, postcards, stapler, holepunch, paper clips etc. We cut out used stamps and have a stamp box in there too. I think your idea for letter headed paper, forms and other papers to fill in is a good idea that we haven't thought of before so I will be adding in a few of those too! Thank you

We put different 'writing props' in the role play boxes.........the jungle box has twig pencils and jungle diaries plus map making paper for example the cafe has memu forms, receipt books from a local hotel, cheap note books and i bought cheap neon biros from tesco which the children love using for writing there are also large sheets of paper and thick felt pens for sign making........ the travel agents had booking forms passport application forms postcards etc I think its important the children are shown there is a purpose for writing.

I also use all the ideas suggested.

However if you don't have time to create your own linked to your role play area theme, I also recommend the two books from Sound Learning - 'Writing Through Role Play' (book 1 and book 2) written by Lesley Clarke. These offer a variety of different templates to photocopy, linked to themes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)