Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Events And Funding

At our staff meeting last night we were discussing this period's 'events' Now under the funding we have to do a 14 week Autumn period. We started back on September 4th so that we got 7 full weeks in term 1. Term 2 starts on Wednesday November 1st, in line with the schools. Our intention was to break up on December 19th, a day earlier than the schools but we get no funded training days & that would make 14 funded weeks in total.

We wanted to use the 19th , p.m. session as party day for all the children but that takes us over our registered numbers by about 10. We're open from 9-3, with lunch 11.30-12 noon. So the funded sessions are 9-11.30 and 12.30-3. I really didn't want to have to hold the party on the 20th because that means either asking staff to do it out of the goodwill of our hearts, or to pay them money the group can ill afford. [i'm the manager, but it's a charity, not committee run]And even if the party only runs for an hour and a half, I know from experience it will take most of the day up!

We've talked it through from every angle I can think of, but I can't come up with a comfortable solution. 2 parties might be the only way, but then what to do with the children who have 2 funded sessions in a day? I'm hoping some of you can come up with some ideas while there's still plenty of time to get it sorted!

Hi Weightman, Sorry long week not used to doing 5 full days at preschool, that will teach me to make my staff redundant won't it.

anyway, not really sure what your question is but,

Are parents invited to attend with the children??

Give Ofsted a call and tell them your plans for a party re: registered numbers, assuring them you either have parent support or enough staff to cover adult/child ratio's. They can confirm whether this is acceptable, which I would think would be. Then check with insurers, they may want written ok from Ofsted, but maybe not as your public liability insurance should cover this 'special event'.

As for it being a funded day, a party, a cultural celebration, is a learning opportunity under all areas of the curriculum, and covers ( amongst others) the outcome Positive contribution, so should be acceptable as a funded day 'plan' so to speak.

My problem has always been do I charge fees to the parents of children who do not normally attend on these days, and if not do I refund parents who have paid. My previous practice is to invite children who would not normally attend for free but require that parents / carers attend with them.

You could involve all the children in the planning, making of invites, shopping, decorations etc for at least a few weeks before the event too. Such joy, Christmas at preschool. :D

Were these your concerns? xD:o

Peggy

Ooh Weightman . . .tricky one....we too are in a similar position, but haven't come up with any firm answers yet (sorry).

We contacted Ofsted (albeit under the old system) to check out what to do re; numbers of children attending above our registration for such events, and we were informed that it was expected that Pre Schools etc. would have parties and such like, and as long as we provided correct adult to child ratios (involving committee/parents) for the numbers of children, and that we had 'risk assessed' we would be ok occasionally to have this sort of event.

Regarding the funding issue, is there any way you could return after half term on the Tuesday pm rather than the Wed, use that as your funded day, and have the 19th as an unfunded party afternoon? Although like us, where then does the money come to pay the staff for the unfunded day? Sorry cannot help much - keep me posted because we too have a similar position.

Will let you know if we come up with an alternative.

we had an event summer term just after ofsted and as it is a one off or occasional thing and ratios are covered she was happy with it, ours was on a funded day.

in our area we are Ok on a funded day so long as we dont charge anything to help for extras such as entertainment etc for children funded that session, any children not due usually due in we do charge a 'party ticket' which is what we do if we have it on an unfunded day, all buy a ticket to cover some of the costs, and a bit of fundraising to cover the rest.

Our parents supply plated of food and drinks etc from a list of suggestions which reduces costs too.

Inge

Some excellent ideas there, thank you, I knew I could depend on you! Sorry it was a bit tricky to explain. I should have said we oly have one room big enough for a party/session so it's all in or nothing so to speak.

We have always welcomed parents in, & a lot do stay so that should be OK. We wouldn't be asking for any financial contributions. What we've done in the past is put up a list of food etc needed & ask parents to choose what they contribute, & we usually get loads more than we need. Is that OK as it's on a voluntary basis? [We buy the children's presents, unlike some settings where I know parents are asked to bring a wrapped gift for their child]

Many thanks again. So long as OFSTED are OK about it, I can see the light now!It's so good to be able to share problems becuase sometimes on your own you can't see the wood for the trees!

When I worked at my old school, they had a basic list e.g. crisps, juice, biscuits,etc and we gave each child/parent a standard note which if I remember correctly had a space for the child's name, details about the party and a nice request for.....(name of food item required) and the phrase enough for....children (write number of children) along with a thank you of course. We would give probably about 5 crisps letters, 5 cakes letters and so on until we had a basic food selection for a class of 30. We were very flexible if parents offered alternative contributions and the system worked really well with very little waste.

Hi,

At our christamas party all parents of 2-3yrs must stay, and 3+ are asked but not necessary. Usually most stay.

WE have a visit from father xmas and have tea, coffee and a raffle. The parents are in charge of these events.

As the parents are there, we do not exceed our numbers of providing childcare as all of my 6 staff are there.

At the end of every other term we have a party week, so all children take part. Parents provide all the party food and we have total free sessions anding up with party games. The children who are in every day still get excited because we vary the games and we have small prizes.

As we are only registered for 18 children a session and are open 9.30-3.00, we find the party week ALOT less stressfull than one party with all of the children.

Net x

:oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)