Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wet Weather

Hi, I am just trying to encourage more use of our outdoor environment and have managed to persuade the head to let us buy some wet weather clothing. I am looking to buy umbrellas, raincoats and wellies. Does anybody know a good company to buy from that that are fairly reasonable in cost. Thanks in advance

We have a wet weather kit for the children to hang on their pegs along with their p.e kit, it can then remain in school all of the time. The kit contains wellies and a waterproof some children also bring and umbrella, we also have some spares from older children who have outgrown wet weather clothes. There is only a minor problem with space in the winter when there are two kits on pegs and winter coats, hats etc! :)

we bought our wellies from good old Asda and our umbrellas from something like 3 bears playthng? We already had coats.

Andrea if you have afew parents who wouldnt like second hand things, then perhpas they could provide their own if they wold be unhappy with what you provide?

I thought of doing this but know a few parents who wouldnt want their child having secondhand things on :o

Personally cant see the difference between second hand and school sets unless you intend to purchase a set for each child to have sole use of in which case Id say that is parents responsibility.

I'm really interested in this. How do you manage with the welly sizes though? I'd wondered about buying plastic capes but asking parents to supply their own children's wellies. As others have said though, 30 pairs of boots would take up a lot of space which the 'just having a few pairs' scenario would solve. How exact do boot sizes need to be with regards to health and safety, do you think?

We have probably 50 +pairs in two large plastic tubs. The children help themselves and dont always manage to get a matching pair but dont seem to notice if one welly is action man and the other is Barbie! Both boys and girls like the pink glittery ones. For obvious reasons they dont put on wellies that are too small. Even the children who bring their own wellies in the winter seem to prefer our selection.

Guest tinkerbell

We are like you Marion, we have a huge tub of wellies pegged together in pairs, and if the children have forgotten to bring theirs in for wednesday wellie day they help themselves to the spare.The parents of the older children in school are well trained and they are always sending inn wellies that the children have outgrown as well as knickers,socks,etc.

Tinkerbellx

Bit late now but we put out a plea last year in the form of posters and separate slips going to each family! (attached I hope!) We had a good response and when the children left to go to school, most left their wellies as they would need bigger ones soon anyway! Now we have a large box under our parent/carers' table full of wellies. We also had some raincoats and brollies donated but children often bring those to nursery anyway.

Our biggest obstacle was parents horrified that we were allowing the children out in the rain xD whatever next? letting them pour their own drinks... letting them wipe their own bottoms or :o choosing what they play with!

Outdoor_play_slips.doc

We_love_outdoor_play.doc

Edited by Guest

Hi Robmat

We bought jackets and trousers from Featherstone Education (where the Little Book of....... come from). Packs of 5 jackets or leggings (trousers). 2 sizes.

We have used them for a year and they are still going strong. Had to throw 1 pair of trousers away for this year as there was a large hole in the knee. We had free-flow so they were used regularly. Don't know if this is any help?

Thanks for all the advise. I have sent a plea out to parents to send in any unwanted wellies and I found some cheap waterproof jackets from Woolworths. I also got some kiddie friendly umbrellas from Boots. We are now turning our outside playhouse into a Garden Centre where the children have to go and try on jackets and wellies to find their correct size. I am sure we are all going to have lots of fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)