Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calling All Foundation Stage Managers/co-ordinators

Hello there,

I've just started as FS Manager last week in a brand new unit - all the fun of the fair with 2 days to set it up! But it is looking fantastic and i am really lloking forward to this year!

As part of my senior management role i've been asked to analyse data from our PIPs baselines and the E-profile - but i'm not sure where to start! Does anyone have any examples of what they do that they would be willing to share?

Thanks

Sarah xoxox

I have to do a similar thing - but not Pips (didn't think we are meant to use it are we? Goes against FS thinking???!)

I have been asked to compare the results from our eprofile with the national statistics - which you can get online - The Standards Site? - Haven't done it yet. Also I will look for gaps and see if more progress was made in particular terms.

Does this help a bit?

Hi

As Marion says ours come back from LA but we are able to make comparisons locally and nationally with other schools.

We have realised that speech and language is a target to work on.

We dont use PIPS so I cant help with that one. The eprofile can produce graphs or charts which you can use fro analysis (we tend to use the summary sheets). We make comparisons for beginning and end of year also by classes before looking at overall cohort. We look for unusually high or low scores and ompare with national and local data. This tells us where our children are doing well and where we need to focus our energies. All this informatin then helps us to complete the relevant part s of the SEF.

Something you could do would be measure 'good' on-entry levels against 'good' attainment at the end of the Reception year. Someone on here (apologies whoever you are) assesses their children when they come in against the stepping stones. If their children are working mainly on the yellow stepping stones then they say that this is a below average level of attainment, mainly blue = average and mainly green = above average. You could then turn these assessments into percentages for each of the areas e.g. for KUW you might have 30% working below average on-entry, 50% falling in the middle...

As we're being told that, at the end of Reception, '6' on the FSP is a 'good' score you could then work out how many children you've 'converted' from below average/average to 'good', thus indicating your value added. God, I hate talking about children like this :o. I had done something a little bit like this last year but will be refining it still further this year. We were Ofsted-ed in the summer term and the lead inspector was very interested in these figures and the fact that I could prove we'd made improvements in the children's achievements.

Something I did at the end of last year was set targets for reading, writing and maths for the class that have just left me. As the Standards Site says that children who achieve 8 points within one area on the FSP might reasonably be expected to achieve a level 3 in SATs and somewhere else (!) says that a score of 6 would relate to a 2b, I've assigned a predicted SATs score for each score in the profile: 8 = 3, 7 = 2a, 6 = 2b, 5 = 2c etc. I've also used these predicted SATs scores to 'track back' (basing my figures on adding 4 points each year) in order to give end of year targets for Y1. This is the first year we've done this and I'll be interested to see how the figures work out.

Oh - for the SATs reading prediction I've combined the profile scores for 'linking sounds and letters' and 'reading' and then divided it by 2. Likewise, I've divided each child's total scores for the MD aspects and divided these by 3.

This is very long and rambling isn't it? Also, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense! Ho hum!

Edited by Guest

I have to do a similar thing - but not Pips (didn't think we are meant to use it are we? Goes against FS thinking???!)

I have been asked to compare the results from our eprofile with the national statistics - which you can get online - The Standards Site? - Haven't done it yet. Also I will look for gaps and see if more progress was made in particular terms.

Does this help a bit?

The NAA advice is not to use programs such as PIPs to assess children

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...?showtopic=6423

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)