Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Help Please!

Hi all,

We got the dreaded phone call today. OFSTED are coming next week on Wednesday and Thursday. Does anyone have the story of Goldilocks on Smart notebook and also any counting activities on the smartboard linked to Goldilocks. Please help. Also I just finished my NQT year successfully but have never been through the OFSTED process. I am a reception teacher in a foundation Unit. I have only nursery records and haven't really started observations yet. Is that OK? Any advice really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Flowerxxxxxxxxx

Not sure about Smartboards Flower but we often use the Goldilocks story that's on the bbc c-beebies website (select 'story circle' and then it shows different bookshelves with children's stories on ')-hope that might help. I'm sure you're at the same stage as most of us in terms of observations at this early point of the academic year, it's good that you have nursery records that are helping inform your planning. I've heard that OFSTED are focussing more on 'Every Child Matters' now, don't know how accurate that is but maybe if you look on the OFSTED website, you might be able to look at recent reports for other FS Units to see what aspects they looked at. Good luck! Let us know how it goes! Also well done on passing your NQT year..I'm sure after all the observations you had then that you'll whizz through OFSTED!!

Sorry, I can't help with the Smart Board request, but want to wish you all the best with OFSTED. We were 'done' same time last year - we had a lovely couple of men inspecting, and they were very aware that children were still settling in. 'Observations' as such were quite brief - one inspector came outside while we were doing a maths activity (finding different shapes that I'd drawn on the playground), and bobbed outside to watch some children playing in the water. My observations were quite literally quick, very scruffy notes about things I'd seen children doing eg. counting or sorting farm animals, looking at books in the bood corner, and one child who wasn't joining in with any nursery rhymes. He said he could see where I was going with these. All in all it was pretty stress free (probably much easier than what you're used to as an NQT). I actually think, although you won't be thinking this at the moment, that if you have to be inspected, this is the best time to be done.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

Harricroft

Good advice already, Just wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK. :D

In preschool we don't get notice, I think in a way this is much less stressful than knowing they will be arriving. Just try to relax ( easier said than done) be yourself, sell your good points, show what you recognise you need to develop - but don't go overboard in this area) and don't try anything new.

Peggy

Hi Flower, try and have a good weekend and dont worry too much! As Harricroft says this is a good time to have an inspection although it never feels like that I know! They will be looking very much at the settling and how you are beginning to get to know the children in your class.

Good luck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/snapdragon/yesflash/story.htm

an interactive story you can use on the smartboard.

The northumberland ngfl had a Goldilocks resource but Im just getting an error message from the site not sure why.

If you have access to RM My World there is also a Goldilocks activity there.

We were OFSTEDed in January and the inspectors didn't ask to see any paperwork. We use post it notes quite a bit for informal observations and the inspector asked if that was our system. I explained that we used formal observations, tick lists and the post it notes and he said excellent and adviced the rest of the school to adopt the post it notes. I found the NEW inspection process less stressful than previous inspections. The inspectors seemed to have taken the information from the SEF and were looking for evidence to back up our claims. Good Luck :)

Good luck! We had Ofsted in May and our foundation emphasis was very much on how the children had been tracked during the year and what we had used as a baseline assessment.

Hi,

If u don't mind asking, what do u use for baselines? We use Foundation stage curriculum and I hav devised an on entry booklet.

Thanks

Flowerxxxx

We just record observations/assessment on a few strands from the profile - PSE - I think the social development strand, CLL - language for communication and thinking, CLL - writing, and MD - numbers for labels and counting. This hits the main buttons and is not too much to look for.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi flower

I am manager of a pre-school with 16 children we had our ofsted inspection on thur and fri we got a good for everything. I found that anything i hadn't got in place but could show that I was working towards then they are happy for example I didn't have the risk ass in place for outside and inside areas but I had the folder ready and I had been on the course last week and i explained this and she took this into account. I was still a nervous wreck she came to us on Thur morning and then came back on Fri morning. I t was a jojnt inspection of care and education it was the paperwork which was worrying incase I had missed something but everything was fine thank goodness.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)