Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Lack Of Interest.

Ok it's a new term and new little ones starting, this is always an exciting time helping them settle in and getting to know them & their families.

I opened the door to a parent with two older children and a child in a push chair. I greeted them with the normal stuff as you do. The two older children ( about 9 & 7 yrs old) pushed past as the parent said "Playgroup in here is it?" "yes i replied please come in and i'll show you around." We are hardly through the door when the parent says " right where do i sign?" I felt deflated I haven't told her about the setting, our lay out, our staff, our great activties, our trips out, our policies, let alone introduced my self properly or even asked her what her sons name is let alone hers!! I brought out our information pack, explained the booklet and registration forms on the back. I begun to give a verbal tour of our setting pointing out the areas as I went along. The playgroup aged child was out and off around the setting, thats good i thought then i noticed the two older children running up the slide and jumping down the steps AHHHH!!! One of the older children bumped into our names board and it fell over. The parent shouted at him, I approached saying "it's ok lets pick them up together" the child would not move he stood in the corner with a terrfied look on his face. " Right then i've done the forms what now?" came the parents voice towards me as I'm picking up name tags. I aranged a start date and checked the forms, explained the fees, loos etc then the parent shouted at her children and left!!

The little boy started yesterday, he is very quiet, has a great beaming smile, and has explored every area of the playgroup , he seams a well mannerd little chap with a lot to offer. I feel it is a shame the parent didnt want to listen and learn about the playgroup. I asked how she found out about us hoping some one had recommened us so at least she would of had some info about the setting, but no the parent had spotted the sign out side. I will make sure I feed back in great detail what her son has been doing and explaining his paintings etc, how can someone be that not intrested in their childs first play group? ok I know every one is in a hurry & can be stressed but heck please show some interest!

I used to feel like that when I moved area and (obviously!) nursery... the previous nursery had a very positive attitude to forming links with parents, spending quality time with them on induction and at handover time, ensuring that they were fully up to date with all that had happened during the day and all face-to-face...

... strange comment you may think...

However, at my new nursery I was in the rising 5's who were upstairs. We went upstairs at 8.30, so the majority of parents/children hadn't arrived. As each child came in, we got a call on our internal phone, child proceeded to bound up the stairs, and parent shouted 'bye then!' as they disappeared into the room. The reverse happened at pick-up time... I think in 18 months at the nursery, I actually spoke face-to-face to parents less than twice a week. It was only the parents that were interested who physically brought their children up the stairs and made the effort to talk. (If I had children, I would have been one of those parents!)

It was very frustrating, so I can completely understand where you are coming from!

Perhaps the mum is not very confident in social situations and doesn't engage in 'small talk', so it could be a learning curve for her too?

It can be frustrating when we want parents TO SHOW that they have the same commitment and enthusiasm that we have for the young children we care for. reality says, we don't have them 24/7, and we all have our off days. Not making excuses but considering your description of the older childrens behaviour if I was their parent I would want to get in and get out asap, before they showed me up too much ( obviously my children would have more respect and better behaviour xD:o ).

I now do not have enough available staff to 'show' parents round, so I will make them welcome, invite them to stay and play a while, but get on with my work with the children. I cover all the info stuff at home visits, which are done before a child starts, out of work hours. I know this is not possible for everyone to do but it is certainly very useful to get to know each family in this way.

A slightly different example like running bunnies, is that my daughter, who works with me, has had to get granddad to take her son to his brand new school on his first day, she would have loved to but couldn't because she was busy settling other peoples children into our preschool. So, we can't even practice what we would love to see, a parent settling their child in on their first day.

Peggy

Oh Peggy thats tough. Hope his day went well and he was eager to go back. :D

Thanks rea, My grandson loves his new school ( he's Y1), he's even asked if he could start breakfast club this morning. He's enjoyed some quality time with granddad waiting for me to bring mum home from work. Yesterday he said he likes his new school because "assembly was fun today" and " They don't talk about bl***y God all the time" ( I have posted previously about the label he got at his other school because he couldn't sit still during assembly, remember, I didn't think it was appropopriate for YR.

So all's well :D

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)