Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Little Reassurance

After spending the last 4 weeks getting married (my rec class made a guard of honour for me) and enjoying a fantastic 3 wk honeymoon reality has hit home!

This year i have a mixed reception/Year 1 class. I will be having the less able Year 1s who are still working towards the ELGs. Now in my previous life as a mixed rec/y1/y2 teacher i just contiuned the childrens learning from where we left it back in july and continued to provide the appropriate learning environment to meet there needs. Is this ok still?

Also, how do i get round the fact that the y1/y2 teacher in all the meetings with parents kept saying 'all the year 1 children will be doing the same things' which will clearly not be the case all the time.

I just need a little reassurance that i am off on the right track.

Hi verityn congratulations on your marriage :D

Don't worry about what the other teacher said - you definitely have to go with the needs of the children in your class. I'm sure the general coverage for the Y1 children will be much the same over the year but how you achieve it may vary quite significantly. At the end of the day parents just want what is best for their child so I'm sure you will get plenty of support.

What you intend is perfectly right for the children as it is no good giving them a curriculum they will be unable to access in a meaningful way.If you were working as normal you wouldnt be worrying (would you?) I think its probably the other teachers words that has put doubts in your mind. I have found parents worry that their child is being 'kept back' and even if this is in the child's own interests feel that they will somehow be missing out. Maybe if you invited the Y1 parents in and explained that their children will be working at their own level

And congratulations on your marriage :D

Edited by Marion

Wow 4 weeks getting married...must have done something wrong then...(my wedding ceremony was 4 minutes...think it was a record..)...congrats anyway.

I agree with ASPK and Marion, you need to go with the chidlren's needs, and you can take time to explain that to parents when you start back. As Marion said you do get some thqat might feel their child is being 'kept back' and you may have to reassure thatem that you are doing what is best for their child.

good luck

I agree... you have to with the children's needs.

I have had a mixed year R/1 for the last two years.... although the children went out for literacy, numeracy and science.... it was very disruptive.

This year we have 10 year 1 children split between the two reception classes and we are keeping them all day. Initally we will keep them in their class but after christmas we will probably but the 10 together.....

I have spent the last two years justifying to colleagues why I will not follow the year 1/2 curriculum they have planned for their classes... they are achieving the expectations for year1 in a way that is meaningful and relevant to them and thats whats importnat.

Remember its should be stage not age.

Congrats on your wedding. :) :)

Thank you for all your support and congratulations.

I feel reassured that I am right and am looking forward to see all my funky monkeys and their smiley faces on Tuesday.

:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)