Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quick Checklist Sheet

Hi

does anyone have any ideas about a check list to ensure a variety of observations are being carried out on individuals in a variety of areas. Its difficult to put into words when I don't really know what I want!! :o

We have decided that we will keep children's work, observations etc in a profile.... (Sugar paper scrap book) and I need a tick list type chart for each child so as I can see at a glance if there are areas of learning that I haven't got observations for. But i don't know whether to go for a specific elg say 'mathematical development' or whether I should opt for class areas i.e 'book corner, computer etc'. Sorry if this sounds confusing, but my mind is boggling xD

Hope someone can help

Ruth

we use areas of developent and use the stepping stones as a basis for a check list, recommened by our early years dept as the 'way to go' you will find several versions of the stepping stones on this site to use depending on the format you want.

stepping stones coded

stepping stones again

and again may be worth a look

Lots of ideas and more if you try a forum search.

Inge

I use aspects for planning, however, I do refer to some stepping stones, but find that they are not always relevant, or only parts of a stepping stone is. I also think that Children do not cover them 'in order' ie they are not hiearchal ( if you know what I mean).

Peggy

thats what annoys me about the stepping stones how can they put two or three completly different goals under one stepping stone, because if a chilkd can do part of tghat stepping stone but not the others how can you say they have achieved it. :D

I agree Peggy, I currently use stepping stones but feel they can be too specific - and as you say they are not covered in order. I am thinking of changin to the aspects and just referring to the steppung stones within but just wonder if I am just making more work for myself.

Smiles

The stepping stones were never meant to be hierarchical, they were/are a possible route to goal attainment. Some children will not achieve all SS, nor will they neccesarily achienve them in the order they are written, they are guide to the characteristics of learning that may be displayed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)