Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Physical Play

Hi

I'm looking at reorganising our sessions in september. We are a pre-school in a church, we don't have an out door space but we do have use of a large hall, i wondered how long people spend in their out door area/physical play. The problem we had last year was that we were doing our physical play at the end and running out of time, we were only spending 10 mins in the large hall with the bikes etc........ I wondered how long other groups spend on bikes, climbing frames etc. i feel their must be a better way of organising it. If i have it open up the large hall during the whole session i need another member of staff which i don't have.

is the hall seperate to your other rooms? would you not be able to leave a physical play area set up all the time and give free access, how would this affect your staffing ratios ? x jojom x

Hi

Yes the hall is seperate from our other rooms, we already use two smaller rooms with 2 adults in each, we have a seperate door into the hall. We have 24 children per session

we are in a church all and divide our day up into 1st freeplay, table and floor activities and then after singing and milk time, 2nd freeplay which is physical equipment both these sesiions are an average of 45 mins each. :D

I used to be in a large church hall. We tried various ways, one by splitting the room in two with screens or chairs and allowing physical activities to run at the same time as table top and floor ones. Other wise we did pretty much as Hali, had the 'quieter' activities and then after snack put the physical out, the only change to this was when we had the climbing frame out and then it would be available all session. We didnt have an outdoor play area so we had to make it work indoors. All our activities were free play with adults inputing when they saw a need, observations were made during whatever the childen had chosen to play with and then fed back into the plan for the next day. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)