Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

B23+fs = Eyfs

Hi to all the keyworkers out there

Early Years Foundation Stage section 3: Progression through the Areas of Learning and Development.

I am wondering if as the Birth to Three Matters is not compulsory, (and staff between 2-3 and 3-4 year olds find it difficult to step in each others roles) could we take on board the stepping stones illustrated in the document now. The flow within the stages makes sense and we would all be beating to the same drum. I would like to, maybe, get this in place for September.

What do you think?

Hi,

I don't mean to shout but DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR PLANS IN RELATION TO THE EYFS DOCUMENT!!

It is only a consultation document and is not statutory until 2008.

The closing date is actually today (if you haven't responded - DO IT!!!) and the document will inevitably be changed as a result. Ofsted will NOT be looking for linked up plans for BT3/FS children and will still be looking to see that you are planning for the two groups separately.

Most of us in early years like the new look (but not necessarily all the content LOL) and think that it makes sense to overlap the ages and stages of development, but don't get too carried away with it yet.

Sorry to put a dampener on your obvious enthusiasm :D

RB x

Edited by Running Bunny

I disagree Running Bunny, the 'consultation document' will not change hugely.

I am looking at the new document and will be trying out different versions of planning to iron out all the problems once we have to use it. We we only have minimal changes.

Julie is right to look at the document but to be prepared that she will need to adapt her planning to any minimal changes that come along.

I wouldnt do anything with it either. There were a few things I had queries about one of which was sharing the planning with parents, childminders, other settings a child attends. If you come up with a planning format now and so does someone else, who's to say which format will be used and who will have the final say. Will a reception teacher want a childminder telling her this is the best way to plan or will a parent want us showing them how plans should be written? I'd wait until consultation is complete and then work with those you might have to share info with. I could have got the wrong end of the stick but chances are the whole thing will change by the time you've got to grips with it anyway, that seems to be the way of most initiatives. :)

I found the whole document / consultation-food for thought. When I attended a consultation meeting I happened to have a chat with a reception teacher, we discussed the level children are considered to be on leaving preschool, to the level children are considered to be at the start of reception. She made it clearer to me how children will respond differently to the change in adult/child ratio's that they experience in Reception.

I'm not saying I will be making any changes yet, but I am certainly going to review how best we enable our children to be independent learners. I think we do a good job of this already, but over the next year I am going to observe more how the children cope with less adult interaction, how they maintain 'purposeful play' on their own. ( obviously taking into account their age/stage of development).

What I don't want is for children to be assessed by us at say green level, only for teachers to find that they are not at this level when in a classroom environment. ( if you see what I mean)

The findings of my long term review will hopefully enable me to further improve childrens transitional experiences.

Peggy

I think there is always a descrepancy between levels leaving one key stage and entering another and this is why the government are recognising transition to be important. Even within the same setting children respond to slight changes and need time to adjust.

Personally I think the final document will change and change again and then maybe change yet again as has happened with every curriculum so far.

If you think it will help in your setting Julie look at adapting you planning to suit your needs but I wouldnt feel compelled to in response to the EYFS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)