Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

None Topic Based Planning

ive been reading posts about none topic based planning can anyone let me no how i can set this up i really like the idea of following the child rather than being tied to a topic x jojom x

Try this link for the current FSF active, as it happens, research and review of non topic, child led planning, each new instalment a must to read......not to be missed.......exciting scoops on the latest developments......

Sue's blog

Peggy

not putting too much pressure on you Sue, am I ?? :oxD

Thanks Peggy i'll track Sue's blog very interested in adopting this way of planning with my children x jojom x

sue how can i record to satisfy ofsted im really struggling to get my head around this. I know in what direction i am going but i just dont know how to record it. im trying to devise something, when i do can i run it by you x jojom x

just to make sure im on the right track x

Run anything you want by me!

In practise, this approach should give all the proof you need, I'm thinking (hoping); at the moment that's how it seems to be happening..... watch this space!! :o

i really wanted to not only have a planning format in place based on my observations of the children - thats the easy part but also for all recording all those spontanious moments within the week such as things children bring in on the spur of the moment (does that make sense) so that we can explore these fully, im going to have a good think about it over the weekend and see what i can come up with. Ive also got a meeting with the local surestart advisor on monday so maybe she will have some good advice too x jojom x. .

i have thought about doing that and including it in my long term planning, but i really want to be free of using a topic. There have been so many times in this past year when i would like to have exploed topics further with the children but felt i couldnt because of time and fitting it in, and it makes me feel that im not meeting the childrens needs its quite frustrating not to be able to fully run with interests because of satisfying ofsted. If i can figure out how to record for this i'll go with it x jojom x

Not quite the right way of doing things but I used to have all the plans neatly in a folder especially for Ofsted but didnt actually work to them unless they fitted in with the childrens interests. I could never see the point in having plans written for the next term when day to day changes needed to be made based on the childrens interests. No good me planning for 'Transport' next term if they want to make buses today, and half way throught the week they want to go on a train. Planning retrospectively or writting a full account on the evaluation sheet was the only sensible thing from what I could see. I could always revisit topics as I saw the need and thats where we would draw out plans from previous years to use as a framework. I'm so glad that more and more people are seing the benefit to the children, I go to various settings as supply and I have been aghast at the way routines are stuck to because thats the way it's always been done. Change can be difficult but so rewarding when it works, and if it doesnt, well there's always tomorrow, you can change it again then :o:D

Hi there,

Below the reply box, there is a box (second one down) 'File Attachments' - click browse button, this allows you to select a file from within your computer. Open the file you want (in this case, your planning sheet) then click 'Add this Attachment' - that should do it - I hope, I'm not famous for being good at this stuff :o

Sue

i have thought about doing that and including it in my long term planning, but i really want to be free of using a topic. There have been so many times in this past year when i would like to have exploed topics further with the children but felt i couldnt because of time and fitting it in, and it makes me feel that im not meeting the childrens needs its quite frustrating not to be able to fully run with interests because of satisfying ofsted. If i can figure out how to record for this i'll go with it x jojom x

We quite often abandon the topic to explore the childrens interests and had no problem with OFSTED

cant attach planning wont let me but have devised 2 sheets one for weekly planning based on observations and another for spontanious child initiated learning wish i could sort out how to upload them would be great to have some feedback x jojom x

I'm really interested in this post.

Next year we are moving to daily planning in order to respond more to the children's needs and interests rather than seeing out a week-long plan. We'll still get together to think of activity ideas at the beginning of the week but will add them in when it is right (or not at all).

Luckily our whole school is moving this way, with FS doing daily plans and KS1 planning 2-3 days at a time (with some persuasion!!)

Would like to consider moving away from topics too - but just don't know how it would look yet!

Sue (or anyone else), although you've moved away from termly topics - do you still end up doing mini themes, e.g. a 2 week topic (or however long is appropriate) on dinosaurs if this has led on from the children's ideas during child initiated play.

Also - how do you ensure that you cover all the objectives?

Keep the ideas coming please :)

Edited by Guest

Yes, we respond appropriately - well, by that I mean we move with the children if they are massively motivated. Otherwise we use Festivals as an extension, to encourage awareness, mini-topics help.

Sometimes we use mini-topics to develop national/world themes where appropriate :o

Sometimes I just get so confused!

Sometimes it's nice to come here for reassurance!!! - please ?

we work a high/scope day and this non topic planning is how high/scope works. But we do put some focus in ie diwali chritmas, chinese new year easter etc. The rest happens so naturally its great.

Take for instance the world cup. That wasn't in my long term planning at the beginning of last year but soon realised we had to include it. It was great 4 weeks worth of work and we covered every single area of the foundation stage curriculum. Children staff and parent were really motivated!

In sept with the new children will focus on them getting to know the environment then with observations i will know what their interests are. If we do mini topics i still do a medium term plan but obviously it doesn't always go the way we plan and also we plan this with the children.

Sometimes it might be more adult directed because the children are not accessing an area or piece of equipment that we think they should be so we plan lots of activities around that!

its the first full year we have done this and now i wouldn't do it any other way.

Stories that childre are interestesd in is another good starter its amazing what happes when you get going on it!

We had OFSTED recently and they thought it was great so no problems there!

Hope my ramblings help!

ooh its good to be back had no internet for days i am still trying to figure ouy how to upload files. i feel so positive about this now its great to hear how successful this way of planning can be. Im going to be up and running with this for september HOPEFULLY!!! a lot of staff meetings needed yet because although im clear that this is the right thing to do im not sure that the rest of my staff team are there yet. x jojom x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)