Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enco

How many of you have an ENCO in your settings? (Equalities Named Coordinator).

In my last authority this was highly recommended, and training was being rolled out.

Is it a requirement or just a recommendation?

If anyone has one in their setting, what does their role consist of? It could be quite an exciting one, but seems a bit airy fairy at the moment.

Coo!! I have a name!!

That's part of my remit in our nursery - it's sort of all about promoting and ensuring Inclusivity, so I work closely with Senco. Also multicultural and gender-related aspects, and ensuring staff understand all the ramifications of these ideas. Don't go asking for a job description, though!!!!! :o (suppose that's my next job!!)

Sue .

I was the named Equality Co-ordinator but it was only named on a couple of policies and on the notice board. I had pretty clued up staff so really I didnt need to do anything because they were good at their jobs. :D

• 6 months later...

One of my staff was told by her tutor (distance learning DPP) that we should have an ENCO and also a SENDA. You've answered the one question for me but what is a SENDA?

Al

Being picky here but... if you have a named ENCo then they're named twice... like having a SENco co-ordinator!!

I am our Equalities Named Co-Ordinator too and went to my level 2 training last week funnily enough!

As someone else said I don't do much as my staff are good but I am passionate about the area so it is a good role for me :o

went to the launch of 'keeping chilren safe' last week you will get a pack like the birth to 3 one with all new numbers in for contacts for child protection! And our child preotection officer(me) is now called a s.o.c.c.o. cant remember what it stands for and packs at work.

This is in cheshire dont know if all loacal surestarts are doing this.They are now called Children and Families by the way!

MM! I am not sure about SOCCO either :o

I know the 'Area Child Protection Committee' had a name change and is now 'local safeguarding children board' so I am guessing and wondering if SOCCO could be 'Safeguarding of Children Co-ordinator' xD

LOL@Socco as it makes me think of Silent Witness etc where the Scene of Crime Officer is a SoCo!!

I think it's safety or safeguarding of children co-ordinator too. Why do they change them? I suppose SENco is easier use than Equal Opportunities Co-ordinator or Child Protection Officer etc so I suppose it will make them less of a mouthful but still!

I think I shall just became an APPO.

answer at the bottom of the page....................................................

All Policies and Procedures Officer :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)