Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Room Tempretures

Hi,

Just a quick question for you all. Our nursery is a very warm building and as you can imagine has been even warmer over recent weeks. Today one of our parents asked to see the thermometer and then said it was to hot 26C. (this is not our hottest room! Aside from having windows open, fans on and making use of the outdoors when it isn't too hot what more can we do. The younger children are also stripped down to sometimes just vests (babies). Does anyone know if there is an actual temperature that is officially too hot, just want to be prepared for the ineviatable (spelling?) complaint. :o

Thanks alot

Rapunzel

Hi Rapunzel

Im having the same difficulties with the heat, it was 84 degrees in my room today and its not any diferent in any of the other rooms either. Our parents have commented on the conditions but unfortunatly there is no legal temp limit all we are doing is lots of water play, lots of ice pops and drinks. We invested in a large gazebo last week so we can play out for short spells under that

x jojom x

The TUC have a recommended upper working temperature of 27*c /86*f but it is not enforceable. I heard some schools were closing at 1pm but not sure if they started early. Parents could keep their children at home.

The standards give a below minimum temperature that is unsuitable but not a maximum that is unsuitable. This is silly really because it is more dangerous to be overheated than underheated. At least when child are cold we can put extra layers of clothing on them , turn the heating up or do some phtsical play to raise the body temperature. . All we can do is make sure that children and adults have plenty of fluids and foods with high water content and be extra vigilant in detecting any signs of dehydration. Do you have windows facing the sun. If so can you keep the curtains/blinds closed.

I don't really know what this parent is expecting you to do about the heat apart from opening windows and doors where ever possible and using cold air fans you can't actually turn the heat down. Ask her what she suggests you can do about it because if you send the children home is doesn't alter the situation but puts the responsibilty on the parent.

we are also having the issue, surprise surprsie...

we work in a pre-fabricated building (mobile unit ~ only doesn't move hee hee) and it gets so hot in there, have no idea what the temp is as we ahven't got a thermometer (think we need one)... we open windows, and doors (fire doors ) ~ is it okay to have fire doors open????

We have fans in the rooms, and pffer plenty of drinks.

Toddlers and babies are stripped down to nappiies and they spend the day like that (unless outside) tweenies (2-3 yrs) and pre-school can take their tops of if they like but have to keep shorts on....

we can't go out often very limited shade, (even with gazebo) and teh children tend to run round loads outside hense getting hotter,.....

i think this is an ongoing problem with most of us.....

a parent complained to our head office the other day about the staff unifoirm saying she felt it was too hot,.... we are now allowed to wear vest tops in hot weather... which has gone down well with staff :o

but i do feel for the children

Dawn

Hi all!

totally know how you all feel as our office is floor to ceiling windows with the sun on it from 10am to 6pm, so I feel like a tomato in a greenhouse!

The reason that there is not a higher temperature is that in some industries there are extreme working conditions such as foundaries/ manufacturing plants etc... all employers have to do is carry out the old faithful risk assessment!

So, if you do this and feel that the health and safety of the children is being compromised (I think) you are within your rights to close down a room/the whole nursery. Better check legally before you do this though!

RB x

I have just been informed that if it is written in the policies it would be ok to close if temperature go higher.

What I don't understand Running Bunny is that there are some industries where the temperatures are very low but we still have a minimum recommended temperature.

Thanks for all of your replies. It's all pretty much what i'm doing at the moment, blinds closed, windows opened, fans on, children stripped etc. I jut wanted a little reassurance that i'm not the only one and other places haven't closed down. All I want now is a parent to complain about our uniform!! :D:o

ive got a summer uniform which is quite light and airy sounds like im lucky dont know how id manage in my normal uniform x jojom x

What I don't understand Running Bunny is that there are some industries where the temperatures are very low but we still have a minimum recommended temperature.

The same Risk Assessment rules apply - employers have a duty of care and the employees enter into the workplace knowing what the conditions are going to be in these instances.

Oddly enough, they were discussing this on the radio and DTI have put forward proposals for a maximum 30 degree temperature before employers have to do something - but this could be on similar lines to the disabiliity act where it would be 'reasonable adjustments' so stingy employers could say 'well, you can open the windows, can't you??'

• 5 months later...

I came on the forum tonight to ask about room temperatures, and did a quick search of past posts first, as I have a habit of asking questoins that have already been asked!!

I notice that this topic was put on in the summer - when the temperature was high, and we all just did our best to cool it down.

Now that it is not summer, what temperature should we be aiming for? I have a staff member who enthusiastically goes round and records temperatures, but it is simply a paper excercise, as none of us actually know what it should be!

I can walk into 1 room which resembles a sauna, as the staff feel the cold, and have all the windows shut and the heating whacked up, whilst the children are moving around with red cheeks; another room will be a little too cold when you walk in, and one just right (in my opinion).

The HSE website states:

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity."

Basically, if you are in a normal working environment, the minimum temperature should be 16 celsius. If you are really active in your role the temperature should be 13 celsius.

I always thought that it should be 18/16, so things must have changed...

Anyway The HSE can't be wrong!

I would aim for 18 degrees as comfortable, but that depends on each room I guess and whether it was near the door, had drafty windows etc....

Edited by Running Bunny

we have one large hall and we aim for 18/20 max, but it does fluctuate depending on the weather, but find this is adequate for the children and staff, if staff feel cold they put a jumper on as the children are usually so busy or on the go they do not need a higher temp, staff can tend to be less mobile as they will sit with groups children move around more.

I tend not to wear a jumper and can tell when the temp drops or gets too hot and we adjust as needed.

inge

I always advise new staff, students to wear 'layers' of clothes, to adjust to the varying tempuratures. Mornings we have more children ( body heat) than afternoons. I particularly feel the cold on friday afternoons ( because I am shattered :o ).

Peggy

I know exactly what you mean. the trouble is you start off warm and toasty, then you get too hot so we open a window. then once we all go outside it gets cold because we leave a door open for access to the loo. The we come in and get warm again. then in the afternoon the children can choose in or out, so diplomatically we take it in turns to be out in the cold as staff, oh and we need to the keep the door open for children to go in and out! The radiators are on sometimes with a window open! Not entirely sure that the FS is condusive to good economics with the old heating bill! :o

Liz x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)