Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observations.... Evidence... How Much!

Hi

i know this topic has probably been up and up again... but

i know observations etc. havent really been kept up to date and in september

im coordinating foundation stage and want nursery/ rec to be following same things....

we have decided to make it a priority in sept - using sticky labels etc phots etc. .... but how much

do we need for each child... am really worried about what ofsted will say .....

also the long observsations - is that still i per child every term?

am really worried becausde i know its an important area and its not very good at the moment :o

I think everyone is winding down for the end of the year rather than thinking about observations honey. :) Have you trawled through previous threads as there is a lot of very useful advice on the forum already regarding this. :)

Not sure what other settings do but we dont do a long observation for each child each term or keep evidence for each child just evidence for each statement in the FSP.

We do ongoing assessments/observations to inform planning but these are quite brief.

Edited by Marion

think we all get to wound up with too much evidence for ofsted or otherwise, as long as you know your children where they are at and where they are heading that is enough..... :D

Oh Hali, if only,

Our recent Ofsted went well, but as she could not see ti written down or on paper how plaaning was exactly linked with which childs needs and interests this was noted on the report as us not being fully able to meet individual childrens needs through into planning....we do it all , can explain how it works what we do she said she could see we all knew the children extremely well and met the needs but but evidence is Not written down fully enough!!

back to the drawing board or is it paper mountain!

Inge

Guest tinkerbell

The Ofsted inspector was happy with our post it notes,class lists which are fed into the e-profile.

Tinkerbellx

We do like you tinkerbell we use post its and make very brief observation notes on class lists as focus activity assessments. At planning meetings we tick off who we have post it observation sofr just so we know we are covering every child.

We use that class lists to ensure every child completes/attempts the focused activity and either tick to say they completed the activity without difficulty or write a short comment if they need more practice/ found it very difficult or too easy etc. Information from the class lists/post it notes/ formal observations are transfered to Flying Start doccuments every day. these cover a wall in an area not accessable to parents (actually unused disabled toilet :o ) so all staff can see at a glance where children are in their development. Occasionally we target children and track them if we have concerns.

We use that class lists to ensure every child completes/attempts the focused activity and either tick to say they completed the activity without difficulty or write a short comment if they need more practice/ found it very difficult or too easy etc. Information from the class lists/post it notes/ formal observations are transfered to Flying Start doccuments every day. these cover a wall in an area not accessable to parents (actually unused disabled toilet xD ) so all staff can see at a glance where children are in their development. Occasionally we target children and track them if we have concerns.

Guest tinkerbell

We don't have a disabled toilet Marion!(actually its going to cost the school a fortune to get one ,money we dont have but that is another story!)

Like you we use postits on the lists and the information is fed back into the planning eg

the lists are colour coded yellow/lit blue/maths green /pshce etc (I know things over lap) and the objective for the lesson or the weekly focus if its phonics for example and certain sounds for the week are written at the top of the sheet.Being colour coded helps me sort out the paper work for each half term entering stuff on the e-profile.

Tinkerbellx

We came back from the summer break to find our staff toilet and shower had been converted into a child sized disabled toilet (already had one of these in another part of the school but no one thought to check) They also put in an electronic remote controlled changing table would hate to see the bill :o:( what they failed to put in was wheelchair access at that point which was in my opinion a bigger priority. The changing table and toilet remain unused :( well except as a good place to stick assessment documents xD

I was worried that we do too much in the way of observing, noting identified goals that have been achieved and then planning for future promotion of development and making general comments about the individual child, (plus a tick chart to incorporate stepping stones and B-3) but our recent Ofsted said what we do was really good, I was half-hoping that they would say we did too much, as this year we added so much pressure on ourselves knowing we had an inspection due and stepped up our records.

Now we have had it confirmed that what we do is good we have to keep it up, which is reassuring but such a lot of out-of-hours work! :o

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)