Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teddy Bears

One of the staff at my Pre School has come up with the idea of 'teddy' bears for a theme, rather than just 'Bears'. Our themes usually last for the half term (approx 6 weeks) and I didn't want to dampen the positive input from the staff, but at the back of my mind I'm thinking - can we get a lot out of this theme over 6 weeks, or will we all be exhausted and never want to see another Teddy bear again? I suggested that it might be worthwhile thinking what the children would like? maybe a story we could focus on, or even 'famous' bears -

to get to the point - has anyone been here before? If so I would be grateful of any suggestions to keep us enthused for 6 weeks of teddies . . any suggestions for activities/weekly topics eagerly anticipated . .

Really pleased that we are already thinking agead for Sept!

thanks in advance

How about using a different story or song each week to diversify your theme eg Teddy Bears' Picnic could lead to a week of cooking picnic food, Peace at Last a week on sounds and music, Teddy Bear, teddy Bear touch your toes could be movement and learning abour our bodies, Winnie the Pooh nature in Autumn etc, etc. Good Luck!

Threadbear is a great book if you want to do a science theme - materials, washing etc.

We got hold of a cheap jointed teddy from the charity shop and chopped it up to find out what was inside!!!

Compare Bears are good - to fill a short slot in your 6 weeks!!

We have a bear at nursery that the children take in turns to take home with them. He has a little suitcase from ELC that the staff have added things to, such as a toothbrush, passport, etc. He also has his own diary, so the parents write what he did with the family whilst he was with them. Some parents put photos in too - it's dead sweet!!

You can get a few cheap items on the Baker Ross web-site as well, these are a nice idea.

Have fun!

Shelley

Edited by Guest

Guest cathy m

Thanks Susan

I've just spent time browsing that link it's a great site for ideas and resources

Cathy

Susan -Wow - thanks - we have a planning meeting on Tuesday so that site will be a great help.

Everyone else - I knew I could rely on all you wonderful people out there - sometimes you just need an idea from someone else to get the ball rolling. Can't wait to let my staff colleague know that her idea for teddy bears is going to start off the new Pre School year.

!!THANKS!! again

What about taking a classroom teddy bear home? Each child can have it for one night, then their parents can help them write down their experience.... what they did together. The child can draw a picture of that moment and (if s/he can) write a simple sentence by his/herself.

The teddy bears letter was prepared after the children had brought their own teddy bears to the classroom. During circle time they would present their teddy bears: name and what they like most of their teddy bear. That night the teddy bears would stay at school to have a 'Pyjama Party'. We put a cot in the reading corner. Since I had the names of their teddy bear, then I could make the letter a bit more 'realistic' :o . The next morning they would find a table that had been set up for breakfast. They played all morning with their teddy bears in the different areas/corners. At noon we would leave on a bus to a park where we would have our Teddy Bear Picnic. We all had so much fun :D !

Teddy_Bears_letter.doc

Matching_bears_cards.pdf

NE_Bear_name_tags.pdf

NE_My_teddy_bear_song.pdf

The_story_of_the_Teddy_Bear.doc

Thanks SmileyPR

You're a gem!

I'm getting quite excited about starting the new term in September already :o (is this right? or should I be getting excited about the long summer hols first? :D ) I think that teddy bears theme is going to be well received by children and staff with all the lovely ideas arriving on this post.

THANK YOU xD

Try this... Follow the link to Sanday nursery 'going on a bear hunt' there's a powerpoint presentation filled with brillant ideas.

You'll have to scroll through there prospectus to relevant page to find link.

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/earlyyearsmat...tcm4-282743.pdf

If it doesn't work (link) search for sanday nursery + scotland and follow your nose!

Try this... Follow the link to Sanday nursery 'going on a bear hunt' there's a powerpoint presentation filled with brillant ideas.

You'll have to scroll through there prospectus to relevant page to find link.

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/earlyyearsmat...tcm4-282743.pdf

If it doesn't work (link) search for sanday nursery + scotland and follow your nose!

Teddy Bears is a great theme and I am sure you wont have any problem filling your half term. There are so many stories to build your theme around. Cant you sleep little bear for example lends to work on light and shadows...

Also, there is nothing stopping you looking at real bears too

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Mx

Has anyone got some activity ideas for a parent and new intake afternoon 'teedy bears picnic'?

Tried looking at the link susan has given - but at the moment can't seem to open.

Was thinking of making a hat for bears + a treasure hunt. Have been advised that treasure hunts can be difficult due to parents competive nature! Needs to be simple on organising etc.

Have got 1 1/2 hours to fill and needs to be 'exciting' etc.

All suggestions & ideas gratefully recieved!

Has anyone got some activity ideas for a parent and new intake afternoon 'teedy bears picnic'?

Tried looking at the link susan has given - but at the moment can't seem to open.

Was thinking of making a hat for bears + a treasure hunt. Have been advised that treasure hunts can be difficult due to parents competive nature! Needs to be simple on organising etc.

Have got 1 1/2 hours to fill and needs to be 'exciting' etc.

It is also all being placed outdoors (weather permitting & needs a backup if not!)

All the best

Skylight

All suggestions & ideas gratefully recieved! :D

Edited by Guest

Thanks Skylight for the link - I have just watched the Ppt presentation and am well and truly inspired - I can't wait to get back to work tomorrow. The only problem I can forsee is finding a forest, cave and river to visit!

I'm so excited - the theme of teddy bears is taking over my thoughts at the moment . . . and we've not finished for summer yet.

Thanks again

The great thing about that presentation is you don't necessarily need those elements - just the ideas to adapt! Good luck and hope you enjoy.

All the best,

Skylight

We do a whole term on teddies!!!! xD:o:(

In addition to ideas already mentioned, here are a few more......

Goldilocks and the three bears is a good one for size and counting to three. Also cooking with oats and oats in the sand tray.

We also do a teddies hospital and think about others and feelings etc as part of that. Making get well cards for someone (or a teddy)

And we love the bear hunt story too.

Carolyn

Here's a rhyme to help :D

Five furry teddy bears

sitting on the floor.

One lay down, so that left four.

Four furry teddy bears

sitting on my knee.

One slipped off, so that left three.

Three furry teddy bears

sitting on my shoe.

One fell off, so that left two.

Two furry teddy bears

trying to catch my thumb.

One gave up, so that left one.

One furry teddy bear

crying all alone.

Dried his tears, then took him home.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)