Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Accident Books

Me neither Gizzy!! Is it when they almost fall off the climbing frame and perhaps are a bit shaken up but not actually hurt? Or when they almost have their fingers run over by a bike? You could be making notes of this kind all morning long! I just feel that it is a waste of time.

We sometimes tell parents that they have had a few tears because they nearly had an accident but we don't always. It depends on how the child has reacted to the situation. But as to having a near miss book-perhaps you need to ask your PDW why she feels you need one.

Linda

If we have "Near misses" for example we've just moved a screen to a different area, it was sucurely tied but one of our four year olds has just learnt how to undo knots and had untied it. :o The screen nearly fell over.

I would not write this in a book but would let all staff know to be aware of the need to tie it extra tight. I suppose a list of "near misses" would inform the "risk assessment" procedure. But give us credit that we can remember important things like this and not have to write EVERYTHING down.

oooh, did I remember to tell assistant No 3, Cheryl, about securely tying the screen :D

Peggy

hi I am doing a playworkers course as i am manager of a holday club during school holidays and this week we were told to keep accident records until that child is 18 yrs old.

This is from the cache level 3 playworkers course in kent.

:oxD:(

Nichola,having just attended a Child Protection up date course we were told that we should keep records till the child is 21 !!!!! Any bruise ,cut etc must be written down when the child comes and parent to sign.If this has been noticed after the parent has left,staff should sign and then get parent to when they pick up.

I have a box which I keep old medical / medicine records, accident books and Insurance policies. On the outside I have marked in bright red ink "Keep for 40 years 2001 - 2041.

Can't remember where I got that figure from, possibly to do with insurance policies :oxD

Peggy

Having done a little research :o I have come up with this answer. xD

Statute of limitations limits the bringing of an action to within three years from the time at which the person knew, or should have known, that appreciable damage was sustained. However, this time limit for making a claim can be extended in exceptional circumstances by the court. Therefore accident books should be kept for a minimum of three years after the date of the last entry. However, in the case of a child sustaining injury, the 3 years operates from the child's 18th birthday. There is a strong argument for keeping accident forms indefinately to provide cover against future claims as this time limit can be extended in exceptional circumstances. In any case, records should be kept until the child reaches the age of 22, but preferably 25 to be sure. :D

I've heard records should be kept for 21 years, but in reality we keep them until we run out of room!! With a small cupboard to store evrything it wouldnt be practical to try to keep things for this long. My son is 12 and none of his records are in the file anymore, and it seems likely that this years records will replace those from a few years ago too. :D

I don't think that there is a suggestion that all of the children's records are kept Rea. :D Just those relating to accidents/incidents/medication etc. I have always given parents their child's folders when they leave. The only other thing I keep is the register. :)

Yes thats what I meant Beau. :D We keep accident/incident books and registers. How long do you keep old Ofsted and social service reports? Ours go back donkeys but as they have never been required at susequent inspections I was thinking of getting rid. :o:D

When I took over running the playgroup the only inspection report that had been kept was a combined one from 2001!! I seem to remember this topic has come up before and someone posted a very comprehensive list. (which I ignored :o ) xD I'll try to find it and put in a link. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)