Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

hi, its the first time ive used this forum so apologies in advance if this doesnt seem to make much sense Im sure you'll get the drift.

can someone please help us we are getting very confused we run a pre-school and just cant get our head around this planning! EYCP has said that every activity we have out needs to relate to the ELG, fair enough, they are saying we could write a piece for example on the sand tray,- and what the children are learning from this experience,and laminate it and put in with the activity every time we use it and so on for lego etc, basically everything. Thiis is so that when a different member of staff moves onto that activity during the morning they are aware of what the learning intenion is.

Surely we would have reams of paper for each day. We just seem to be bogged down with paper and takes half the session trying to understand and read the plans.

I think we are looking to deep into this? or are we just being rather thick?

Does anyone have an idiots guide to planning or a copy of a completed daily plan that I could look at,

I think we have the idea of the long term and medium term plan( well i hope so anyway) its now just the short term? We feel like giving up and so out of our depth!

Hi Sharon

Welcome to the site and thanks for your first post.

I also run a pre-school and we had our OFSTED inspection in November. Our planning is very simple and the education inspector was pleased with it-she said it was some of the best planning she had ever seen! So it must be OK!! I am sure that you are not thick, even though I don't know you, planning is such a confusing area. Perhaps because everybody has their own ideas as to how to do it and their own methods. If you send me a personal message with your e-mail address I will send you a copy of our weekly/daily planning. You could perhaps adapt this for your own use.

Our OFSTED inspector said that sometimes settings try to include too much thereby confusing the issue and making work for themselves. I don't think you need a plan for each piece of equipment you use, just as long as staff know what the children should be gaining from it. You should have had an addition to the folder Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage called Planning for learning in the Foundation Stage. At the back of this, page 20, there is Areas and aspects of learning for the F S. We use this for our our daily planning.

Please let me know, either by e-mail or persoanl message what I can do for you and I will try my best to help. Whatever you do in the way of planning must be something you and your staff can work with.

It's good to have you here and I hope we can support you. No doubt you will have ideas for other people on the site.

Linda

Hi Linda.

I wonder if you would mind sending me a copy of your weekly/daily planning, as I would find it very interesting to see one that OFSTED are pleased with.

I too work in a pre-school and we have just been told our inspection will be in February. I was very involved in the planning for our sessions last term. I am certain we are going in the right direction, but we are told so many different things by many different people it can getting quite confusing, but we do seem to have found a way that covers everything and is workable.

thanks

Catherine

I will do Catherine. It will be some time next week if that's Ok. We are taking my son back to university tomorrow and that usually takes us all day!!

I will be in touch as soon as possible.

Linda

Hi,

I thought daily planning was to identfy how you are implimenting your medium term planning.

I have on going elements, broad elements and then elements that I have noted from profiling that need developing.

My daily planning is for the elements that need deveoping and based around a theme or topic and then I state which medium could be used to support that medium. e.g.

Theme "Changing materials"

Medium "sand" use dry and the add water.

CLL Listen to language used.

PSE Sharing tools and taking turns

KUW How has the sand changed, different texture and properties.

Math. Developing mathmatical language. Full, empty, half full, half empty, heavy, light,

PD small motor skills

CD Building castles, Which is better wet or dry?

I find daily planning the most fun but I always keep in mind that nothing is written in tablets of stone and go with the flow. If the children take off with the theme and do their own thing thats great.

We had a session on Toys old and new, after looking at the old toys they asked if they could make some toys. So out came the junk materials and anything else they wanted. It was brill, they all made toys! and the staff were facilitators, the children even initiated their own plenury. I couldnt have planned such a successful session any better.

Anne

Hi Anne

Our OFSTED inspector also said that there is no right and wrong way to do planning-as long as you are identifying the areas of learning and stepping stones and ensuring that you are covering them all then that is fine. She said that if what you are doing works for you then keep doing it-if it ain't broke don't fix it was her attitude.

Our planning is simple and straightforward and my staff really like it-it works very well for us. Our inspector was happy with that-it keeps the work load down!! And anything that does that must be good!

Linda

hi, its the first time ive used this forum so apologies in advance if this doesnt seem to make much sense Im sure you'll get the drift.

can someone please help us we are getting very confused we run a pre-school and just cant get our head around this planning! EYCP has said that every activity we have out needs to relate to the ELG, fair enough, they are saying we could write a piece for example on the sand tray,- and what the children are learning from this experience,and laminate it and put in with the activity every time we use it and so on for lego etc, basically everything. Thiis is so that when a different member of staff moves onto that activity during the morning they are aware of what the learning intenion is.

Surely we would have reams of paper for each day. We just seem to be bogged down with paper and takes half the session trying to understand and read the plans.

I think we are looking to deep into this? or are we just being rather thick?

Does anyone have an idiots guide to planning or a copy of a completed daily plan that I could look at,

I think we have the idea of the long term and medium term plan( well i hope so anyway) its now just the short term? We feel like giving up and so out of our depth!

Why don't you have a format that shows each area of learning, then yu could write what is available there on a daily basis. Weekly plan and medium term paln will show what learning objectives are being covered. You could provide plans on a wall together. Nursery world printed some good posters for sand/role-play/writing corner ect.. with ideas and good questions to stimulate learning, we have these laminated and stapled near area. good luck

Linda,

Would you be kind enough to let me take a look at your planning as well? Every piece of advice I receive on the subject is different, so it would be very helpful to see something that OFSTED are happy with!

My email address is treed_hk@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for your help,

Tom

One inspector said that because i'd done it on the computer, it looked too neat and not 'used' enough. so i'll make it look scruffy next time, maybe that'll keep her happy. Can't win can you?

hi linda,

sorry to be a pain but i would also love to see how you do your planning,

im at

ruth@carter6709.freeserve.co.uk

would be a great help,

thanks ruthie

Hi Everyone,

To save Linda emailing everyone separately, she has kindly agreed to donate the planning stuff to the site. Steve will make it available to everyone asap. Thank you very much, Linda :D:D

Also, for those of you who haven't discovered the article on planning, and associated planning sheets, you can find it here

Hi Sharon,

It was interesting reading your mail and i can relate to what you are asking?

i am a development worker and tutor based in outer london. Our EYDCP Early Years Advisory team, are requiring all settings in receipt of Nursey Education Grant, to acheive a 2 - 4 on their combined inspection or they will have their funding removed. As part of the NEG they have to produce their planning based on the format devised by the team. This includes: long, medium & short term plans. Area plans for each area of activity, explaining the potential learning that could come from the activity. Blocked, blocked continuous, continuous. Diferentiation.

This, along with other issues, have caused much chaos within the Borough and many pre schools/playgroups are contemplating operating under the 2 hour ruling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)