Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Early Years Foundation Stage

Hi, I've just become a member of the Forum.

Has anyone read the new Early Yers Foundation Stage Draft Consultation Document? I read with interest the section on 'Requirements for qualifications etc..' I was N.N.E.B. trained some 12 years ago and I am now studying for the Early Years Foundation Degree. Managing a school nursery class I was interested to read in the new document that from Sept. 2008 a qualified teacher will need to be in place within nurseries such as mine. This will have a huge impact on schools to supply this level of staffing let alone the knock on effect it will have to experienced Early Years Practitioners such as myself. Does anyone else have a view or opinion on this change???

Cheers :o

Just wanted to welcome you and assure you there are many views on this subject! I will leave it to the more qualified and literate members to add on, and on to this thread, there is a big section on this debate not sure where it is or how to direct you but a I sure the next post will be more proficient in doing this, so once again welcome this is a great site.

:):)

Hi S lakin and welcome on board too.

This isnt a change as most LAs already have a teacher in place in a nursery class in a school. (the recommended ratio is 2:26 of which one is QTS). There are some LAs that may have slipped throught the net here or in places like mine, have got away without a teacher because they are a unit or a very small class. Out of pure interest on my part I would like to know how many LAs are still not employing teachers in nursery classes?

Thanks so much to you all!!

I have found the info very interesting and the links very informative!

Thanks for the warm welcome too! :D

S. Lakin

Yes there should already be a qualified teacher in the nursery class, although some schools have slipped through the net as a money saving excercise. This is not to say that you aren't doing a wonderful job but there should be two adults minimum in a maintained nursery class, one of whom should have QTS.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)