Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keyworker Files

Im in the middle of writing my Record of Transfer Reports for my keyworker children to go to school, after these are done, I doubt I will be observing and recording information on these children.

I think I should give all records to the parents, but when is the question, should I give them when they sign their Record of Transfers of wait until the end of term.

Any advice please

I'm sharing mine with parents in June (over next few weeks). We have to take all of them (48!!) to the school ourselves. This is so that they actually get there and the books are returned to Parents usually on the Parents evening at school (Oct-Nov).

In previous years we did this right at the end of term, but it ruined the last weeks as we were pre-occupied with seeing parents and putting the last bits in!

I think there has to be a cut-off point, otherwise you'll just go on and on.

Hope this helps

kymberley

we used to hand the files to the parents but then found that they werent being passed on to the schools now we are asking parents permission and sending the files direct to the schools during the last week of two of term ideally a little sooner but something always throws a spaner in the works.

Hi

We are aiming to arrange a meeting with parents for the end of June then send reports to schools. We have been told though that the school don't want our transfer records after all that recording!!!! They have asked for a one page written record on each child with a photo attached of the child. Guess i have 21 reports to write in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your comments, we have meetings with the parents at the end of June also, we only have to give the one page Record of Transfer report and the school do not want their files.

Im thinking of letting the parents keep the files on the children from that night - OFSTED wont need to see them should them come in would they?

Hi

I was told we had to keep childrens records  for two years.

Carol

57698[/snapback]

Do you mean development records/files or registration records?

I didn't think we had to keep development records, in a way I beleive these actually belong to the children, to take with them.

I give parents their childs development files ( I call them achievement files), they have a copy of their childs Record of Transfer and sign a copy which we give to the school. The parents also get a CD full of photos of their childs time with us.

Peggy

Peggy, I agree totally, we work so hard on our developmental records, we add photos to the files and pieces of work the children have done, so all in all its a really lovely file of that childs time with us from the age of 2 - Im proud to give it to the parents - should OFSTED not want to see it I think I will give it to them at their Parents Evening where they sign the ROT sheet

Peggy, I've always believed it was the registration documents that we were to keep, and that the developmental records were the property of the child and family. As we feed several schools we ask for a general consent and then tailor what we send to what each school wants. It's quite rewarding that our school having the biggest intake from us wants 'anything we can send' and was thrilled that we didn't do 'tick charts' etc.

Peggy, I've always believed it was the registration documents that we were to keep, and that the developmental records were the property of the child and family. As we feed several schools we ask for a general consent and then tailor what we send to what each school wants. It's quite rewarding that our school having the biggest intake from  us wants 'anything we can send' and was thrilled that we didn't do 'tick charts' etc.

57830[/snapback]

That's what I thought too. I've kept my registration documents since I opened in 2001, do you know how long I should keep them for?

Peggy

Hi

Copies of termly reports/transitional reports etc we were told to keep for 2 years but the children/parents keep the childs work books and photos when they leave. All that is passed onto the school is an A4 double sided transitional recrd saying which stepping stone the child is currently working at and comments about each area od learning. (parenst are aslo given a copy)

Carol

Thank you for all this info - any reports I do on the children I have kept on my computer, if I download them onto CD and give the files to the parents I have covered the requirements then

57877[/snapback]

I get parents to sign the ROT that go to the schools, and add comments if they wish, before I send them to the school.

Are you registered Data protection? ( I'm sure you are, but thought I'd just ask)

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

Off topic here but as you have mentioned Data Protection - what are the requirements for being registered - i.e infromation stored on PC and wht tis the cost of registering?

Smiles

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)