Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E-learning Credits For 2006/7

I need more help! Having just about managed to spend last year's e-lc allocation (through Pink Cow on-line shop - they're great!) I've just received another pile of dosh!

We're only a small pre-school and there's a limit to how much software we can use!

Has anyone got any recommendations for me. We have children from 2 years old to school age. If you've got something that's really gone down well I'd love to hear from you. We have to spend this allocation by september.

Thank you!

Thanks for the reminder, I must try and find out how I get my allocation, mind you I need to get a computor for preschool first :o

Peggy

we used ours via Pink cow and bought several DVDs for the children to watch on many subjects opticians, dentists, cafe, garden centre, vets, etc. from early vision. they give simple procedures and some underpinning knowledge for role play and extention of role play... the childern enjoy watching them ..and they aslo incorporate a handbook, sometimes on DVD and occasionally in hard copy for guidance when using them

we also bought the festivals 1 & 2 DVD from them using credits, both very good.

Pink cow early vision resource packs.

festivals DVD

You can use them to buy any DVDs, our children also enjoy the Something Special ones which incorporate makaton... staff found them useful too!!!

somethign special fave things

something special pets and animals

Its a short span to spend them.. ours have to be spent by end August next year.

Inge

Thanks for those recommendations Inge. We really don't need any software but the DVDs look good and would give us something different. I really like the Come Outside program and at last they are putting them onto DVD.

Linda

We have never applied for these credits how do you go about applying and how can i apply, is there a website i can get more information.

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder, I must try and find out how I get my allocation, mind you I need to get a computor for preschool first  :o

Peggy

56683[/snapback]

Peggy

I was sent an offer (and I am trying to remember which company it was - maybe someone else was sent it too and can remember) where you could spend your e-learning credits on some very expensive software and get a"free" computer thrown in! That may be worth looking into as a way of getting round the ridiculous system.

Carolyn

I'd definately recommend 'Something Special'. I taped the whole 18 episodes on VHS when it was on over the summer and my class love them!

My top recommendations for software are clicker 5, Leaps and Bounds and Moles

Simcity - our e-lc allocation is via our Early Years Team at the local authority. I presume they claim the money and then allocate it to us - its based on the number of children on roll. Why not call your early years team?

Peggy

I was sent an offer (and I am trying to remember which company it was - maybe someone else was sent it too and can remember) where you could spend your e-learning credits on some very expensive software and get a"free" computer thrown in! That may be worth looking into as a way of getting round the ridiculous system.

Carolyn

56706[/snapback]

OOh, that sounds good :D , hope someone can help.

If not, I have thought of getting the bee bots, are they covered by elc's?

Peggy

Simcity - our e-lc allocation is via our Early Years Team at the local authority.  I presume they claim the money and then allocate it to us - its based on the number of children on roll.  Why not call your early years team?

56751[/snapback]

I''ll contact them and see, no one has ever mentioned E Learning credits.

Thankyou

OOh, that sounds good :D , hope someone can help.

If not, I have thought of getting the bee bots, are they covered by elc's?

Peggy

56754[/snapback]

Bee bots are available with e credits and are great for little hands. dont do quite as much as roamer but sufficient for FS needs. Our children ask for the buzzy bees :D

Cant remember off hand the name of the company offering free PC but rep is supposed to be phoning me next week (other hat as ICT co ordinator)

Edited by Marion

Hi Marion

Our head has just purchased 6 bee bots,

do they have mats as well

don't know much about them!!!

I liked the Pixies, are they similar?

The Bee Bots are a simpler version and look like bees so more friendly to the younger children They move forward/backward in steps of 15cm and make 90degree turns can play a tune and beep in each step if required. We have roamers and pixies in the upper part of the school but thought the Bee Bots better suited to FS and KS1. Mats are available but still deciding what to buy.

I had a meeting with the head of ICT in our local comp on Friday and she suggested LOGO (argh!) seems we are coving far more than they need so we are justifying slimming down our curriculum .

In our nursery and reception classes we now use Pixie's and the children are getting to grips with them and gaining confidence much quicker than they did with Roamer. As they look a little boring (sorry Pixie manuafacturers!) one of our nursery nurses has made fantanstic covers from foam to link with each of our topics, they are fab! :o

Well, it appears that getting ELC's is not made easy, and is not widely advertised ( I wonder why). I phoned CIS, they didn't have a clue, gave me an 0845 number, who directed me to curriculum.org.uk, which explains the project and gave me my local Social Services number, the lady thought I was after some kind og benefits until i mentioned the word preschool, then she tried to transfer me to the EY dept, the early years office was empty xD ( well it was 3pm on a Friday afternoon). I then phoned my local EYDCP management information dept ( the ones who deal with the NEG). They told me I had to write to a particular person at the local Teacher Advisory service, gave me the address but couldn't give me a phone number or an email contact address. I looked them up in my training manual ( I remember that they do our local E.Y. training) got their phone number, rang them and got an email address.

I await a response on Monday (phew).

I know it is free money but they certainly make you work for it. :o

What annoys me is that all these grants / funding are never openly advertised. The people who allocate it must know that not all eligable people have applied, so should do something about it, or the children miss out.

moan over.

Peggy

poor you Peggy.... sounds like a lot of hard work and time spent on just finding out about them.

we get a letter every year from Ey funding, which we just have to return having signed to declare we have a suitable Pc or are in the process of buying one, and the money is sent later in the year, being allocated a set amount per child declared on our annual return completed in January.

Just spent the last of this years.... awaiting next in September.

Inge

• 2 weeks later...

Peggy, we have been told to look at resources on:

www.curriculumonline.co.uk

It's the official website for spending e-credits.

Hope this helps - just go to Early Years section.

Thanks for that Kymberley, I know where to spend the money, it's just the getting it that is still proving elusive to me :oxD

Peggy

I see now peggy, must be different in what ever area you are in then. We've had 3 lots now and we just get a slip through to say money has been paid into bank account! Never had to apply, which makes life easier and such a nice surprise!

Good luck! :o

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently contacted Early Years Partnership about the next round of e-learning credits. Was told that the crtedits should be available next term. Here`s hoping.

I have recently contacted Early Years Partnership about the next round of e-learning credits. Was told that the crtedits should be available next term. Here`s hoping.

Are you from Kent JPH?

I was told "soon", it is all very vague and very badly promoted :o

I wonder if we are entitled to back pay, and if not where has the money been spent???

Peggy

I`m in Devon. We haven`t had information about elearning credits for a long, long time. Don`t know how often they tend to be available, we`ve not had them before. Was told that information will be going out to settings when appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just received a letter saying we can apply for the elearning credits, we are entitled to £6-00 per 4 year old on our register in the spring term 2006. This is the first time we have received it. Is it just paid once a year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)