Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Questions Questions

Guest bobby

Guest bobby

:o

Does anyone hold parent interviews when children are being admitted to nursery? I need to hold admission interviews to gain information which the head would like to use as a baseline!! I would be really grateful if anyone could help me out here.

Thanks

On a childs first day at playgroup the parent would chat to the child's new keyworker and fill in forms including a short overveiw of the child's interests and abilities. These were things like ...shares toys, relates to other children/adults, can dress/undress etc. There were 3 boxes which could be ticked, sometimes, always, never, and a box for comments. The forms were usually filled in from a biased parents point of view even after the keyworker had explained their use was to aid staff in knowing a little about the child in order to help his/her development during their time with us. I never thought they were particularly helpful, and gave more of an insight into the parent rather than the child. We also had a box for 'aprent interests/hobbies, this helped when I needed a parent volunteer for mending equipment, bringing in an artical of inerest, doing some artwork etc. I havent got a copy to show you but I think the playgroup developed a new one recently which was based more on the stepping stones and I presume BBTM. :D

Hi Bobby!

We don't hold formal 'interviews' of parents when admitting children to pre-school, but we do ask them to fill out the usual forms giving details of medical history, previous pre-school/nursery experiences, interests, abilities etc.

I then try have a meeting with the parents within the first week to give an overview of the child's first week and I ask them for their opinions, questions, comments etc. The child's key worker participates in these meetings and shows them any observations that have been made during the first week. We review progress at open mornings or if needed.

We have interviews with the parents before their children start.

I devised a questionnaire sheet, the keyworker uses it to record the answers from parents.

I can send you an example if you would like to see it. :)

• 5 months later...

hello Millhill, sorry for delay but have not been well. I am not really happy with my paretns questionnaire and would love to see yours. It is to form part of an 'on entr' asserssment to nursery and i really don't want to be pressured into doing something formal.

Thanks for your help

what an interesting form. Similar to mine, but it is always good to see the others do things. There's always something new to learn. thanks

Hi

I hold a parent induction on the child's first day, I ask them to fill in forms and go through our main policies and procedures such as child protection settling in and routines I also give them an explanation about birth to three matters (if relevant) and the foundation stage. I have a my child at home form but parents find it quite difficult to think of things, I may have a go at changing it, yours is very good cos it gives questions to be answered - i like it. I try to cover everything that I would want to know as a parent if I was going to leave my child with people I had never met before. I always guide them to our parent info book that contains our operational plan policies procedures and Ofsted reports and let them know they can look at this at anytime. This usually takes about half an hour and gives parents the chance to ask any questions during that time.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)